I just had to tell the world!

maggiemooscluckers

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Apache Junction, Arizona
I don't know which two of my 21 week old pullets layed their first eggs this morning but I was so pleased to walk the walk that I have done so many times before and find two perfect little brown medium sized eggs in the same nest! They have been allowing the roo to mate for about a week and the combs and waddles are bright red on most of the pullets. I am hoping to find more tomorrow. So exciting!! My babies are growing up!

Last edited:
Congrats!
D.gif

clap.gif
Congrats on the egg!
The comb and wattles turning red is a sign that your girls are getting ready to start laying

From all that I've read here and in chicken publications, chicken's combs and waddles will turn red as they mature and reach egg laying age. It seems to be the case as I watch my own pullets as they grow. Their combs and waddles have been growing and getting a darker red as the weeks have gone by. All of my pullets are the same age but my RIR, Red Sexlink and Golden laced Wyndotte got their "red" first. They were the first to mate with the roo and are probably the pullets that blessed me with our first eggs.

Back
Top Bottom