I just HATE these Bugs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mudhen, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    At least I can say I learned something new today. They are called Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs.
    They first showed up in late September, and somehow have found a way to seep into the house. I have got to the point where I just cannot stand them and the disgusting smell.... [​IMG]
    The cats, usually great annihalators of all things creepy crawly, will not touch them! The dogs give them wide berth.

I just had one crawling up a wall in front of me. I'm good at quickly plucking them to toss them out before they get any stink on me.
    But this one was a fighter! He wriggled and before I could get him in the bag, he stunk up my hand!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Had to wash my hands twice and that didn't help, so then soaked in lemon juice, washed again. Smell is fainter, but masked with lemon and dial soap [​IMG]

Here a pic and info about them from my online search:

[​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy of www.Maine.gov.

Category: True Bug

Common Name: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
    Scientific Name: (Halyomorpha halys)
    Other Name(s): Stink Bug

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Arthropoda
    Class: Insecta
    Order: Hemiptera
    Family: Pentatomidae
    Genus: Halyomorpha
    Species: halys

General Size: 14mm to 16mm (0.55in to 0.63in)

Look for these Colors: brown; gray; yellow

The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is a pest to a large variety of fruit-bearing trees and plants, leaving circular damaged areas on leaves. Originally from Asia, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug made its way to North America and has been a pest ever since. Their color makes them effective camouflaged insects. Both nymphs and adults feed off of the leaves or fruit sources. Stink Bugs generally derrive their namesakes from the foul-smelling odor that the insect produces when threatened or disturbed, produced by specialized stink glands in both the male and female.

[​IMG]:sick:sick:sick [​IMG]

Do chickens eat them? I don't see any around or in the coop, they seem only to want to be in my house or studio.
    I can't imagine the chickens would touch them, I don't even want to think what the eggs might taste like... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we have them here in Michigan like crazy too. usually you can find the tree they are in. in many suburban neighborhoods, people will get together to pay to cut the tree down because they can get so bad.

ack!

3. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I think they by-passed tree living and decided my house was the place to be!

I'll cruise the property and see if I can find a tree that's infested. Thanks.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Maybe the bugs think the chickens stink. Hey that ryhmes. lol
    I hate bugs too. We a a twice a year love bug plague in Florida. Everthing was covered by those annoying things. I remember a little british girl"Daddy,daddy those flies are a nuisance" while my kids just puled the bugs of their lunch and kept eating.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Deepest sympathies, we get those nasty things, too. [​IMG]

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

ick - we get them in the garden - they look like a squash bug [​IMG] and yep, they do stink!

wouldnt DE work on them? [​IMG] Get em out of your coop??

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    AAAAGHH!! my house is full of these nasty buggers too!!!!! I HATE them and it is not in my nature to hate a living creature, but these suckers have GOT to go!

I tape 'em and trap the stinky stuff in with them....

Any ideas on a method of getting rid of them??

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Songster

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    We have them here, too. The kids hate them. They are much more sensitive to the smell. I think they smell like fall leaves. Yeah..my cats hate them too.

9. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Fortunately, they aren't in the coop.

But my evil self just thought of a horrible torture chamber.....

let's see,
    an empty mayo jar
    put in about three tablespoons of DE...
    add stink bug...

yeah...that will do it...

10. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

AAAAGHH!! my house is full of these nasty buggers too!!!!! I HATE them and it is not in my nature to hate a living creature, but these suckers have GOT to go!

I tape 'em and trap the stinky stuff in with them....

Any ideas on a method of getting rid of them??

OOOOoooooh.... tape them!!!! I like that method better that picking them up with my fingers! Thanks! [​IMG]

Seriously, I too would like a method of getting rid of them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by