I just punched an owl!!!

I went and looked up the owl (great horned owl) on google images and they are common in northern mn and this what I think I saw it was much taller than the hen next to it. I was trying to trap a predator weeks before with no luck . And the one night I didn't close the ladies up tight this guy got in through there door. The hens are all well obviously I got less eggs today than normal but that is ok!

I don't plan on letting a predator shack up in the barn but that is just me!
It has been fun reading you alls post have a good night and watch out for :frowowls!

Close the coop up securely each night from now on. Several years ago a GHO entered one of my pigeon lofts through unsecured bobs and killed and ate several pigeons. I used a fishing net to remove the owl. The next night at dusk it was back walking around on the top of my aviaries trying to get into the loft. When prey is involved, they are bold and tenacious.

I don't know about all owls but last winter when I saw a barred owl out my window and saw all the chikadees(little birdies) hanging out around it, I realised, then when to confirm in my bird book, that they don't eat other birds...so maybe this was not a predator, just an owl taking advantage of your comfy coop!! not sure...I'm gonna check in my bird books about other owls...I think they eat mostly small mammals.

Puching ou owls, too funny!
lol.png

Quote:
Wow! You are lucky you didn't get a scratch on you! Your chickens are sure lucky you were there to protect them too, GHO are killing machines and absolutely eat other birds, including smaller owls. What an awesome story though, lol, I'm sure you'll be telling that one for years to come.

This story made me chuckle out loud. An owl in the coop would give me a start, as well and I'd probably react the same way you did, punch, maybe a karate snap kick or something-- it is just instinct.

Yes, as Felony says, if a Barred Owl, NOT a threat to chickens (a Barred doesn't have the ears). A Barred wouldn't be interested in sitting with your chickens though. I can't imagine that. They are cozy in the woods, not a coop. A Barred makes the classic, "WHO COOKS FOR YOU? WHO COOKS FOR YOU ALL?" I hear one of those occasionally too.

But probably you are dealing with a Great Horned Owl (have the ears) & they aren't afraid of anything & it was going to have a feast -- they eat grown skunks, opossums, puppies, small dogs, cats -- the GHO living in my woods has taken one of my Guineas. I hear it a lot. Also, they are pairing up for breeding as the GHO starts lays their eggs in January and starts their family. The Guineas all came in the coop for several nights following that encounter, but it has not been back & they all are back up in the trees. My chickens all go in, and I lock them up. I have always fear for my Toulouse at night but there are 7 of them -- I am not doubting that a hungry GHO might try but there have got to be easier prey than seven grown Toulouse Geese & they don't play.

GHO makes the HOO, HOO, HOO, more subtle, lower sound. You can google the sounds. Always gives me the chills hearing them, knowing they are just out there & what they are capable of doing.

Quote:
I don't think she ever intimated she was angry at the owl. Just that it probably made her wee wee at the wrong time.

I know, heard it before, just doing what owls do. Right?

Back
Top Bottom