I killed a deer!

Hi Silkieluvr, just wondering, do you eat the meat? If she was only 40 lbs and didn't have much on her, what was the point? For sport? That's ok too, I suppose, I know they (the deer) can over populate, or get overrun by humans and no place to go) and I understand the hunting as being more beneficial to the herd for survival, I'm trying to understand.... how much meat do you get on a young doe and what do you do with it? Just an Eastern Shore person that's trying to understand more of the "eating off the land" kinda thing.
smile.png

I am not a vegan but any measure. I like meat.

Quote:
Sometimes you just don't know how big the deer is until after you shoot it. If it isn't with a larger or smaller deer there often isn't anything to compare its size to.

I think that just about everyone who harvests a doe harvests for the meat. To me doe meat tastes much better than a big buck in the peak of the rut.

Quote:
We harvest the does we kill for meat. The plan was for my brother to shoot the big doe, but he missed her. When they ran jumped the fence, the doe I shot came afterwards, so it looked bigger than it actually was. We use the tenderloin, fish, heart, front shoulders and hams. I cant wait to eat deer heart tonight for dinner!

We also try to kill the little ones because they are less likely to survive the winter than a deer that has already experienced winter. Usually a doe will have two fawns in the spring, so if you shoot a big doe, your killing three deer for next season versus one. Plus the little ones are really tender compared to a older deer.

Congradulations on the Deer!
It always makes me smile when a Youth Hunter posts their take.

You should apply for a NH permit to hunt. We have some very nice Deer in this state also.
My 11 year old GranDaugter is waiting for her PaPa to take her out this year.
He tried last year bu her response was
" Run Bambie Run, were going to eat you" lol
the funny part of all that is, If You slap a deer stake anywhere near a fry pan she is right there with plate and utensils in hand lol.

to put it in perspective 40 lbs of meat can feed your family for quite a while. And I'm sure the next one will be bigger. Don't forget to say a word of thanks to the deer.
Great Job!
thumbsup.gif

Awesome job! It's so good to see kids learning to provide for themselves. I'm a big advocate in the transparency of the food chain. I wish my four daughters were interested in hunting!

Back
Top Bottom