I killed a would-be chick.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickyBangBang, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I was sitting here reading the forums and marking my precious little eggers with cute little Xs and Os in pencil for turning preparation, and putting them in an egg carton.

We have a 6 month old Shetland Sheepdog. It was dead silent in the house and I was merrily marking my little eggs, bursting out with smiles and giggles - and all of a sudden this humongous WOOF WOOF WOOF echoed through the house like a reverberating bullet or something. It scared the hell out of me, and I instinctively "jerked" - causing the pencil to go right into the egg I was marking a little X on.

It was such a pretty egg, medium sized (a little bigger than the others) and light brown speckled. It was the only speckled egg I got in the bunch.

It may sound stupid, but I am just devastated. I will never know what might have popped out of my little egger. So dumb to be sitting here bawling about an egg that wasn't even a chick yet but I am so sad.

And by the way - puppy wasn't barking at ANYTHING other than some silly-stupid random sound going on outside.

Soo I guess I'm writing this to let other people know that it doesn't take much to break or crack an egg, and be somewhere quiet without distractions when you're doing stuff to them. [​IMG]

I wonder what that little egger might have been.[​IMG] I don't even want to mark the others now.

2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Awwww..so sorry that happened. You must try to imagine that egg was destined to become the meanest roo ever!

3. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I like your thinking, and I will try to imagine that would have been the outcome...[​IMG] thanks for the kind words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by