I Killed Him!!!!

sbwhite0

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Terre Haute,IN
I feel so bad. I have had some eggs in my homemade bator for 9days as of today. I have candled them several times and have not seen anything. No veining or anything. So today I thought it has been long enough. I did not want them to blow up in the bator so I took all the eggs outside. I took the first egg and cracked it to see what was inside. There was a little embryo in it. I can't believe it. After fighting so hard with the temp. and humidity and then thinking I had failed, I actually had a little guy in there. I killed him. I feel horible. Maybe it's just hard to candle Amerucauna Eggs.

Hey, hey, don't be sad, you definitely did not kill him. The veins are always very bold, usually seen with the regular flash light too, it probably was a weak embryo, would have died due to some deformity anyways. Chickens throw out their eggs so often. Don't worry, start again with a new spirit this time, just don't candle too often, stick to the turning rules.
Amber

It will be ok. Just next time, don't discard anything till day 14. By then you should see a darker spot. Maybe a brighter light may help too. I can spot one in even dark eggs by day 6... but I never toss till 14, as I too have been wrong in the past.

Quote:
Don't beat yourself up ....

Every experience, even the bad ones, teach us something.

All your future hatches will benefit from this.

Thank you for your support. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in making mistakes. I will certainly wait much longer next time before I remove them. I love this site and all the support. Thanks Again

shawn

Yes, my Americauna eggs are very hard to candle. I don't know what it is about them, all my other breeds candle very easily, but those green, and blue shells just won't let the light in for some reason. I just look for the air sac, and if I see it, I leave them in.

CUDA said:
Yes, my Americauna eggs are very hard to candle.

Thank you CUDA. Now I know. I did see what I thought was an air sac. The only reason I removed them is because everything I read said there should be veins by 7days. Well, lesson learned.​

Back
Top Bottom