I KNEW it would happen!

LedgeWoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
Sure enough - was on vacation this past week and got a text from my chicken sitter that he found an egg. RATS!!! I missed the glorious 1st egg event! Got home Friday evening...no further eggs since Tuesday. Thought for sure there'd be one in the coop this morning...nope. The kids were constantly checking all day long for more eggs. I went in the coop to fill thier feeders and noticed my pooper-scoopers on the floor (I keep them on top of one of the nest boxes which is about 5' on the top.) I went to put them back and there it was THE SECOND EGG!!
wee.gif
Just a perfect little brown egg.

Now...WHY is she laying her egg on top of the nest boxes and not IN the nest boxes???
idunno.gif
At least she's laying the eggs in the coop and not under trees outside!

woot.gif

Congrats!!! 3 of mine have started laying but 5 of them haven't. I'm sure they will all start as soon as I'm gone for a few days too... Dang chickens! LOL

yippiechickie.gif

But it's great to see the eggs!!!

Best of Luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

Maybe if you put a couple of golf balls in where she should be laying - it might prompt her to lay where you want her to.

yes, I was just going to say to put in some dummy eggs where you want them to lay. It really works (most of the time)!
Congrats on your first eggs. That is always so exciting!

which area does she think she has the most privacy.
they like to think they are hiding them..
She'll get it figured out.
Mine don't use the nesting boxes.(that I paid for).they prefer cardboard boxes.
They are so funny,ducking thier little heads thinking nothing can see them.

Not modesty.they think they are protecting the eggs from preditors.
Good Luck and congratulations on your first eggs.......
smile.png

I've had 4 wooden eggs in various boxes for the last couple weeks. Going to have DH add on a bigger "rim" to the nest boxes so they are a little "deeper." Cracking the eggs for breakfast this morning....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom