I knew they would crow but…

Agricola

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
South Jersey
It just seems excessive. There are six roosters about 19 weeks old. They all get along reasonably well (so far). I expect them to crow when the sun starts to rise at about 6:30, but one of them starts around 5:00 every day. I mean its still pitch black out, but he crows every morning at that time. And then sometimes the others decide they want to get in on it too. When that happens they seem to get into a competition and it goes on for longer than usual. Then around 5:30 or so they stop for awhile and resume when the sun starts to rise.

Is it normal for them to start early like that?

Dunno about normal but mine also starts when its pitch black - though at least he waits until about 6:30am. We can only just hear him in the house, but it must be *really* loud sitting next to him in the coop. I feel sorry for the girls who might have still been trying to sleep
big_smile.png

edited to change 6:30pm to 6:30am. Makes a bit of a difference.

Last edited:
The other night my roo started crowing in the black night too. I went outside to check and see if something was wrong, but no, everyone was still locked up and there was nothing wrong. I guess he just felt like singing lol

My guy crows in the pitch black at 5:00 am too! He does it 5 or 6 times and then is quiet until 6:30 which is when I come out to feed them. I wonder if it has to do with daylight savings time? During the summer he crowed at 6 each day, but we turned the clocks back...

I can just imagine the cacaphony when all six of yours get started!

One of mine crows faithfully between 0500-0530 every day. The other starts around 0430, unless I come home late from work or let the dogs out late at night in which case he feels like he should speak to me until I reassure him it's me (at least that's what I like to think). Both of them will crow during the day if they think they need more food or water or treats or if something unusual is going on. To be truthful (other than Norton's questioning crows because I'm outside anyway) I don't even notice mine unless they sound like something's wrong. My neighbor across the road says she never hears them unless she's listening for them, which she likes to do in the morning while enjoying a cup of coffee.

If you think that's loud, wait until your pullets start laying and all six of your roosters decide to join in on the egg song.

Quote:
That’s what mine does too unless the others chime in and egg him on.

Quote:
Yeah, I have twenty hens in there with them. You would think they would take matters into their own hands. But who knows, maybe to them it sounds like Pavarotti.

Quote:
Well, the roosters have a date with the freezer so I won’t have to worry about that. But next year I would like to keep some roosters, so it’s good to know what to expect.

I also had roosters that would crow at 4:30 in the morning! I was also surprised by it as I thought the sun would at least be rising before they would crow, too.

I have closer neighbors, so unfortunately for them, they became dinner....
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom