I know it's an EE but is it a pullet?

I used to raise EEs and had a pretty girl, just like yours. They are generally very good dedicated layers. I think you're problem is the time of year they are coming into lay. My girls all layed on time (20-26wks) and I even had one start at 18 wks.

Jody

Quote:
17 and 19 weeks, maybe theres hope. I'll wait another 6 weeks then they go to my FIL. He wants them.

hinkjc, do they slow down when it gets cold? But they havn't started yet, so they can't slow down yet.
he.gif

All chickens slow down due to less sunlight this time of year. And for pullets who are just coming into lay, it usually delays that as well. The only way to get them lay "on time" is to give them extra light. That doesn't always work, as a chicken when lay when their body is ready, but the sunlight has a direct effect on laying cycles.

My EEs were my best layers here. They laid just about every day and big eggs too. They rarely took a break except during moult.

Jody

Your girl is a dead-ringer-twin of my EE'er Paprikash. She's the friendliest and always runs up to me first. (Coincidentally, my DH's favorite. Yes, he's Hungarian, ha ha!) Despite his best efforts to dislike the chooks now wants more EE'ers like her! I got her from Mt.Healthy Hatchery, OH in early spring. She was the last to lay, started at 24 weeks. But lay she does! I just checked my chart and she's given me 25 eggs in the last 30 days. Not bad! At this time we don't have supplemental light. (I've ordered the solar charger and it shipped yesterday!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Well , I had 2 that I got rid of LAST NIGHT for that same reason . Mine are twice the size of the EE in picture above , healthy but all they do is eat and POOP and I mean LOTS OF IT lol So , I am going to replace them with White Leghorns that are laying . I can get them laying for $6.00 a piece .
and NO MORE chicks being hatched by me . Takes anywhere from 4 - 7 months for eggs? NO WAY .....

Yep, I've got her identical twin in the backyard, and she hasn't laid yet, either (I don't think). She's 23 weeks old.

I think it's kind of funny, EEs are considered mutts yet so many of them show up looking alike in different flocks.

I have one like that & she started at 27 weeks & the other one a week later. They are very consistent layers, like all of my EE's have been, & I'm getting one large green egg & one light blue egg every day now! plus they are both friendly pretty girls!

Back
Top Bottom