I know now what killed my bird. What next?

turkey vultures will attack chickens ?
Google says that black vultures are giving turkey vultures a bad name. Black vultures have been spotted not only going after chickens but after livestock: sheep, calves and even their laboring mothers. Turkey vultures, on the other hand, are only dangerous to roadkill.

turkey vultures will attack chickens ?
I haven’t actually had them attack my chickens but boy do they try. If I wasn’t outside with my flock, with a giant metal stick, scaring away the turkey vultures I’d have lost my chickens. I bang the stick on other metal things and the noise scares the crap outta the vultures. They’re too scared to dive bomb.

My mom said they won’t attack because they eat dead things but I’ve watched the turkey vultures. They aren’t there to just watch my chickens. They’re there for a free meal. I actually read that turkey vultures will peck chickens eyes out and then just leave them to die. How horrible is that?

Google says that black vultures are giving turkey vultures a bad name. Black vultures have been spotted not only going after chickens but after livestock: sheep, calves and even their laboring mothers. Turkey vultures, on the other hand, are only dangerous to roadkill.
I’ll have to go back and look at the pictures I took of those 10 vultures. I might be mixing them up. Either way it was ominous to have ten huge birds stalking my flock. Even if turkey vultures don’t kill chickens… it’s still creepy to have them hanging around. I also swear I read that they peck out chickens eyes but I might be mixing up the info.

I actually read that a turkey vulture picked up a two-year old child and flew off with it and dropped it a neighbor's pool. Fortunately (supposedly), the child was wearing a life jacket which saved his life. (Convenient, wouldn't you say?) But this story is patently FALSE. Vultures have feet like a chicken and could no more pick up a child or even a Chihuahua than it could fly to the moon. Nor could it have picked it up with its beak, which is very weak. What I'm saying is, just because you read something doesn't necessarily mean it is true. Not saying it isn't. Just saying .... Not everything is.

I’ll have to go back and look at the pictures I took of those 10 vultures. I might be mixing them up. Either way it was ominous to have ten huge birds stalking my flock. Even if turkey vultures don’t kill chickens… it’s still creepy to have them hanging around. I also swear I read that they peck out chickens eyes but I might be mixing up the info.
Creepy indeed! A huge flock of them is taking over a town ... Somewhere. Sorry, I forget where. They are pooping all over the roofs of houses and even tearing up the roofs. If you try to chase them away, get this, they projectile vomit at you! :sick Some people have abandoned their homes and moved away. Ugh!

I actually read that a turkey vulture picked up a two-year old child and flew off with it and dropped it a neighbor's pool. Fortunately (supposedly), the child was wearing a life jacket which saved his life. (Convenient, wouldn't you say?) But this story is patently FALSE. Vultures have feet like a chicken and could no more pick up a child or even a Chihuahua than it could fly to the moon. Nor could it have picked it up with its beak, which is very weak. What I'm saying is, just because you read something doesn't necessarily mean it is true. Not saying it isn't. Just saying .... Not everything is.
You are right. My husband has a saying I’m sure I will butcher… I believe nothing of what I hear and 50% of what I read. At least I think that’s what he says. Anyway. The point is, I couldn’t find the thing I had read about turkey vultures eating chickens eyes. So it might have just been vultures. Not turkey vultures.

Creepy indeed! A huge flock of them is taking over a town ... Somewhere. Sorry, I forget where. They are pooping all over the roofs of houses and even tearing up the roofs. If you try to chase them away, get this, they projectile vomit at you! :sick Some people have abandoned their homes and moved away. Ugh!
Oh my gosh!! I didn’t know they could projectile vomit! Even if you’re pulling my leg, that’s still creepy and gross. 🤮

You are right. My husband has a saying I’m sure I will butcher… I believe nothing of what I hear and 50% of what I read. At least I think that’s what he says. Anyway. The point is, I couldn’t find the thing I had read about turkey vultures eating chickens eyes. So it might have just been vultures. Not turkey vultures.

Oh my gosh!! I didn’t know they could projectile vomit! Even if you’re pulling my leg, that’s still creepy and gross. 🤮
I am not pulling your leg, I don't do that. You can google it for yourself.

Lol, as if any of us will have sweet dreams after that mental picture you gave us. :gig
That's why I signed off with the "lol!" Sorry about that! 😂 Well, even though the birds can be disgusting and repulsive, at least they are not making off with our pets, right? Now, black vultures ... yeah, different story. Keep your little pets on leash, definitely, if you have those around. Hawks and stuff, too. I think a neighbor of mine lost a Maltese puppy to some kind of raptor in the Tucson area many years ago. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom