I know now what killed my bird. What next?

Problem is hunting, trapping and shooting predators is about the only way you'll stop them :oops:
Coyotes, skunks, raccoons can be hunted, trapped, and killed in many areas (check your local laws). But all predatory birds are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, with a penalty of $15,000 and/or six months in prison for harming, killing, or merely harassing them. It's illegal to do anything to deter them, even when they are attacking your chickens, except make noise, which is worthless. Is squirting them with the hose "harassing"? Don't know, but I read about an old lady who used her umbrella to hit a hawk attacking her little dog. Someone else saw it and took the injured hawk to the vet. The old lady saved her little dog but got charged with harming the hawk.

Coyotes, skunks, raccoons can be hunted, trapped, and killed in many areas (check your local laws). But all predatory birds are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, with a penalty of $15,000 and/or six months in prison for harming, killing, or merely harassing them. It's illegal to do anything to deter them, even when they are attacking your chickens, except make noise, which is worthless. Is squirting them with the hose "harassing"? Don't know, but I read about an old lady who used her umbrella to hit a hawk attacking her little dog. Someone else saw it and took the injured hawk to the vet. The old lady saved her little dog but got charged with harming the hawk.
Never lost a chicken in my life to a predator nor do I hunt,trap or kill anything. Mine live in enclosed pens so I can live in peace among predators. I specifically said predators and didn't mention a word about a raptor.Raptors can be trapped by individuals with permits.

True. Raptors are predators which are protected by federal law, except by permit. Coyotes, raccoons, skunks are predators which in many places are not illegal to trap or kill.

Have you read about the farmer who lost 160,000 pasture-raised chickens, 100 a day, to bald eagles? Cost him $2,200,000 until he finally won a plea for compensation. There were 80 eagles feasting on his flock daily!
"Harris obtained a non-lethal permit to scare away the raptor population (killing a bald eagle carries a $100,000 fine and potential incarceration), but after cannons, flares, sparklers, carwash scarecrows, netting, tarps and 15 dogs, nothing has worked long term."

https://blog.whiteoakpastures.com/blog/a-big-win-for-a-small-farm

Have you read about the farmer who lost 160,000 pasture-raised chickens, 100 a day, to bald eagles? Cost him $2,200,000 until he finally won a plea for compensation. There were 80 eagles feasting on his flock daily!
"Harris obtained a non-lethal permit to scare away the raptor population (killing a bald eagle carries a $100,000 fine and potential incarceration), but after cannons, flares, sparklers, carwash scarecrows, netting, tarps and 15 dogs, nothing has worked long term."

https://blog.whiteoakpastures.com/blog/a-big-win-for-a-small-farm
Would have been cheaper to put his birds in covered pens!

Dogs work for us. We have an aussie/border/lab/dunno mix that did a good job watching but is too much of a house pet. So, we got a Scotch Collie. Haven't lost a bird to predators since! He sits out there and keeps an eye on everything and kills rats, goes after foxes, goes after racoons, and has very successfully kept hawks away. I know his relatives will attack a hawk that gets close enough to the ground and I'm pretty darned sure he would too...but they've been smart enough to stay well away. We see them circling the field by our house and they won't come into the yard! Scotches are a good choice because they are low-maintenance for coats and health, fantastic pets, and by preference will want to sit and watch over the yard rather than be inside. If you can get a good appropriate dog breed, they are amazing...they'll even put the girls up if we need them penned so we can go somewhere without leaving them out!

Back
Top Bottom