1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know someone wants these! Emu eggs!!!! :O

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Harley's girl, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Those are seriously gorgeous eggs! I really don't want emus, but would be tempted if they laid them regularly through the year.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Anyone know the incubation period or if a broody would hatch those, lol.

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Heres what wikipedia said about incubating emu eggs.

"Incubation takes 56 days, and the male stops incubating the eggs shortly before they hatch.[16] Newly hatched chicks are active and can leave the nest within a few days. They stand about 25 centimetres tall and have distinctive brown and cream stripes for camouflage, which fade after three months or so. The male stays with the growing chicks for up to 18 months, defending them and teaching them how to find food.[21] Chicks grow very quickly and are full-grown in 12–14 months; they may remain with their family group for another six months or so before they split up to breed in their second season. In the wild, Emus live between 10 to 20 years;[24] captive birds can live longer than those in the wild."

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Santa Fe Craigslist has a Sportsman listed for sale with emu egg trays. I'm just sayin...

6. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Someone on another forum got an emu egg off ebay, hatched it in a styrofoam bator. Made an interesting story.

She put it in with chicken and turkey eggs that came from ebay also. The emu took a lot longer to hatch.

7. Emu_Mommy

Emu_Mommy New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello. I bought the emu eggs from ebay. They have been incubating for eight days. Imagine my surprise as I clicked on the link and saw that it was my order. I wonder what the odds are for that happening?
    I really did want them, I felt as if it was my only chance to find them at that low price. I had been checking into different emu farms that sell fertile emu eggs for a while. I would have easily paid $100 for the two, so $88 after shipping was a great deal. ( I also 'bought-it-now' the emu eggs from a different breeder this morning to diversify genetics.)

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, that is neat! What are you going to do with them after they hatch?

9. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

How neat!! Please keep me updated. How long does it take for them to hatch? And take lots of pics!!! Please. [​IMG]

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

there was an ad on craigslist here a while ago, about a ranch being sold, and they needed to get rid of their emu's,, for a dollar, you could get 6 or a dozen ( cant remember how many) and they would even deliver them ,, man im glad i didnt have a pen for em lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by