I locked myself IN!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JanetR, Aug 21, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I was so proud of myself.. When I first put in the run door it was sticking on the bottom and rubbing by the latch. So the other day I took it down, trimmed the bottom and moved the latch, put it back up and viola! Smooth as silk.
    [​IMG]
    This morning when I went in to change the girls' water I absentmindedly pulled on the door behind me and... click! Smooth as silk! [​IMG] And of course I was in flip flops and the girls went after my painted toenails like they were the breakfast buffet! Luckily I found a flimsy twig and slooooooowly nudged the latch up. That's why I'm here to warn you- Have an escape plan! [​IMG]

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Ha,Ha, [​IMG]I don't know if there's any one of us that hasn't done that at one time. I had to crawl out the chicken door once, now I have locks that can't lock me in.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Oops.[​IMG]

I'd keep something inside the coop permanently, so that you can get yourself out when needed. Luckily, I have a normal door to get in and out the coop. I can never get locked in.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I can laugh because I have done it many times. In the runs and in the coops. 1 time I had to crawl out the coop door into the run and escape. I was so mad. My DH put a string through all doors now so all I have to do is pull it. Welcome to the world of madness.

5. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Oh boy, do I know that feeling of sudden panic!. All of our houses have pulley ropes to open outside except for the chick run. I had to crawl inside the 3' high run, shut the door without thinking, freaked and thank goodness I found a strip of hardware mesh near the top I was able to break off and jimmy the lock.

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Been there, done that! Wondered how long it would be before the family started missing me.... [​IMG] It's a good thing I can yell like a drill sargent. [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At least you're in good company...lol. Been there too [​IMG] Looks like a lot of us have [​IMG]

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:I'd like to have seen THAT!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Can you do a re-enactment and post the video?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That's some funny stuff. Thanks for a good laugh!

10. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That would have been so funny to see! In our coop I'd never be able to find a stick. I'd have to wait until someone came looking for me. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by