I lost a hen - any ideas why?

mom2mnem

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
We've had an incredibly cold winter as have many people. I don't know if the extreme cold brought this on or not.

I have about 40 chickens in a coop. Thursday we didn't even let them out of the coop it was so cold. My son went up 3 times during the day and refilled their water and food. The last time for the evening, I went with him. I found my Buff Cochin hen was having trouble breathing. We took her to the house and gave her some VetRx in some water and kept her inside all night.

The next morning she didn't seem to be doing any better. We pushed more water/VetRx and called the vet. She saw us two hours later. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to tell us much. She didn't seem to think it was an infectious disease. I have no idea if/how you can tell the difference. It was not a crop issue. She sent us home with homeopathic drops to push every hour and we were to call her the next day - today. Interestingly, while in the waiting area, the hen stopped making so much noise while breathing - we had hope that she might make it. The vet said it may have been due to adrenaline. But it happened again for a few minutes after we were home for an hour.

Two hours after we got home, the poor hen suddenly jumped up out of her box in a panic. She squawked and gasped for breath, turned purple in her head and then she died. :(

This is what she looked like Thursday night when she was breathing:

0.jpg

This is her just before we took her to the vet:

0.jpg

Here is my big dilemma. I can't decide whether to do the necropsy or not. I have her wrapped up and in the refrigerator in case I decide to do it. I am being advised that if they find something "reportable" that they may very well come in and wipe out my flock. I probably don't have to even mention that we have some well-loved family pets in the mix of birds that would be beyond devastating to lose in that way.

It has been almost 48 hours since we found her ill. No other birds have any signs of illness. Could this really have been just a fluke? A pneumonia brought on by the cold?

If this were something more serious/infectious, how quickly would it be expected to affect the rest of my flock?

Does the video remind anyone of anything they've seen in their chickens?

Thanks for any information.

Sorry for your loss
sad.png

I had a chicken start doing that, then a second one started doing it. I immediately gave them some antibiotics from the feed store and they all got better really fast. Luckily, it wasn't MG or any of the "big ones" that they would be carriers for.
Since the vet says she didn't think it was contagious, I'd say she knows what she's talking about. Just watch and if any other birds start wheezing like that. I gave mine tetracycline (not the best, but all the feed store had in stock).
Though wheezing can suggest a lot of different respiratory problems. She could have just gotten wet by accident and got pneumonia as a result, which is possible in this cold weather. I don't feel like an autopsy would be necessary unless a second bird is sick, but that's just my personal opinion.

That is exactly how mine had acted and twice turnd blue I grabbed her bottom jaw and stretching her neck gave gental pulls as fast as that can without hurting her. I did have to grip the beack hard.i thought she would certainly die when i couldnt watch her. My co-op feed store lady told me to use antibiotic for Respitory problems. I noticed a difference the next day by the fourth day it had cleared up however she had gotten sick with something else and died a week later of what she started out with. I was hopping that the antibiotic would help every thing sadly not

Back
Top Bottom