3+ year old chicken short breaths

Welcometo207

Hatching
Dec 8, 2023
Hey everyone!
We have one lady, we call her disheveled, who has been having an issue lately taking a lot of short breaths.
We noticed this quite a few weeks ago she started yawning more, so we kept an eye on her. Slowly it started progressing to now. Currently she is breathing through her nose (not mouth), but is take lots of short breaths, maybe 3x her friends. Everything else is completely normal, eating normal, drinking normal, poop looks normal, playing outside normal (its winter and just snowed here so they are getting more lazy anyways).
We assumed it was a respiratory infection, so we gave her VetRX and garlic in her water, no luck, tried some antibiotics, both amoxicillin and fulaltadone/ronidazole (different times). As well as the normal ACV, electrolytes and nutrients, etc still no luck.
We checked in her throat and didnt see anything looking funny, and its not sour crop or anything like that as we have dealt with that on her before, and her crop is emptying normally.
No vets in my area will return my call except for my pet vet who will do an $80 fecal.
Any ideas of what to try next? I'm out of ideas, and couldn't find anything on the forums!
Thanks,
Dakota

You say that you assumed it was a respiratory infection, but did she have any sneezing, coughing, nasal drainage, or eye bubbles/foam? Swollen eyelids may also be seen in some. Does she still lay eggs regularly? Can you see any signs of water belly/ascites, such as an enlarged lower belly? Does her crop empty by early morning before she eats or drinks? If you haven’t given some probiotics it could help after the antibiotics.

You say that you assumed it was a respiratory infection, but did she have any sneezing, coughing, nasal drainage, or eye bubbles/foam? Swollen eyelids may also be seen in some. Does she still lay eggs regularly? Can you see any signs of water belly/ascites, such as an enlarged lower belly? Does her crop empty by early morning before she eats or drinks? If you haven’t given some probiotics it could help after the antibiotics.
Hey there!
She had some occasional sneezes, never any coughs, but the yawning (assuming she wasn't getting enough air) some head shaking, and just the excessive breathing is why we assumed it.
That being tied with the normal activity and normal poop. No swollen eyes, drainage or anything like that. Her belly feels fine and her weight hasn't changed much.
She is almost 4 so she hasn't laid regularly in a while.
She was getting probiotics with her nutrients, bought Greek yogurt for her, but managed to forget it litterly every single time I went outside. (my memory is REALLY bad) Crop empty's fully and I watch her eat when I give them food.
Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Dakota

A lot of the time we don’t know what is happening with them until after death when a necropsy can be performed at home. Most state vets will do a more thorough necropsy if you take them in right away. We can only look for symptoms and try to help. Many hens who have had a laying disorder, cancer, or water belly (ascites,) they have some breathing problems due to the pressure inside the abdomen. Respiratory problems can be common if there is dust, or they have contracted a virus or bacterial disease. Hopefully, she is okay as long as she is getting around and active.

A lot of the time we don’t know what is happening with them until after death when a necropsy can be performed at home. Most state vets will do a more thorough necropsy if you take them in right away. We can only look for symptoms and try to help. Many hens who have had a laying disorder, cancer, or water belly (ascites,) they have some breathing problems due to the pressure inside the abdomen. Respiratory problems can be common if there is dust, or they have contracted a virus or bacterial disease. Hopefully, she is okay as long as she is getting around and active.
Ok, Of course not what we wanted to hear but glad I'm not ignoring something obvious.
Thank you!

We are not vets, but just chicken owners like your self. Vet care might be something to try and help her if available. Some vets may have experience with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom