I LOST almost all my babies....

Our chickens occasionaly get into the fence. We usually unplug it when they can get to it, but have forgotten on a few occasions. There is usually a little squawking when they tought he fence, but a minute later they are back to scratching and just being chickens. IMO, a small shock to a chicken would be much less painful that a dog attack.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

TWO hot wires, the first about 6" off the ground, will not kill the chickens....put it outside of your chicken pen. Will protect your chickens from the dog and most other predators. You can get a small solar box if there is no power nearby. I use an electric box.

Am rehoming my Pyrenees because she continues to kill and eat my chickens. Will not tolerate this!!
rant.gif

I LOVE my chickens.
love.gif

As far as the dog is concerned:
If the dog had never killed a chicken, you would probably be able to TRAIN the dog to "Leave it". Our dog knows the difference, she is fine with the birds but chases everything else off.

It took several weeks of concentrated training, but totally worth it.

However, I've been told that once a dog kills, it will not be trained to leave birds alone.... I can't say if that's true or not. You could try training anyway, "Leave it" is very useful in lots of situations.

Back
Top Bottom