I lost two...... :(

Petej

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Long Beach, WA.
Start vent

I went out this morning and found two of my Coturnix adults dead in the cage.
hit.gif

They my oldest two, so I think it might have been old age that got'em. They were HUGE too.

What's the average lifespan of a Coturnix anyway?

/end vent

Not exactly sure but I have read anywhere from 4-8 years. That seems like a big range, so hopefully one of the experts will pop in.

In perfect conditions they should live about 3-5 years. I've been losing about one a week here lately, but all of them have been at least 2 years old
sad.png
And also mostly hens. The cocks live longer since they don't 'wear out' from egg-laying.

The fact that they apparently died at the same time seems to indicate old age is not responsible. Was there any sign of trauma -- head injuries, or the like? What is the height of the cage and what material is used overhead. If not injury, I wonder if disease or health issue is involved?

The oldest were a couple years old, so that makes sense. Unfortunately one was the Roo!!

I have another younger roo (who just started crowing and is going to a new home), but I don't need or want any more eggs.... The ladies will have to be lonely for awhile!
lau.gif

The oldest were a couple years old, so that makes sense. Unfortunately one was the Roo!!

I have another younger roo (who just started crowing and is going to a new home), but I don't need or want any more eggs.... The ladies will have to be lonely for awhile!
lau.gif

If the two died at the same time, the cause would not seem to be "old age." Was there any sign of trauma -- head injuries or the like? What is the height of the cage and what material is used overhead. If not injury, I wonder if disease or health issue is involved?

All seemed healthy, though we did get below freezing last night (been in the 40's at night recently).....

AHA! I think that was it. Why didn't I think of that before? and why didn't more die?

Hmm.....time for some warmth outside....

I have some (OK, lots) of hay the nest box now, so hopefully all will be well....

The other 4 are cruising happily around the cage and chirping contentedly...

Back
Top Bottom