Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
I LOVE HIM!! I absolutely do!!

This morning a hawk decided to swing by and take a chance at some breakfast. So it went after one of my girls. Big Boy (my Delaware rooster), didn't like that at all, so he went after the hawk. And guess what he did? He kicked it!! Pu out his strong, manly feet, and kicked the hawk!! And that foe flew away - not leisurely!!

I just love my boy... He's an angel...
love.gif

3796_big_boy.jpg

3796_img_0655.jpg

Last edited:
awww... lol I used to have a rooster but we had to give him away because he was tooooo loud
sad.png
Plus, the only thing he ever protected his girls from was us...
lol.png

He's BEAUTIFUL!!! <3 I love him! And, wow, he does have pretty manly feet.
wink.png

Last edited:
Delawares are the GREATEST! You're not the first person to recall a heroic act by one of their Del roosters.

Your boy is very handsome, where did you get him?

ETA: Have you heard about the new Delaware Poultry Club? Check it out, there's a link in my signature to the site.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Well, he is as handsome as he is brave and strong!! Good Job--Big Boy!! You should hang some old cd around to glitter in the sun...I have been told it will scare the hawks.. I haven't seen one hanging around since I hung three around the area they free range..

jeremy, I got him and his 2 girls from S&G Poultry.
smile.png
I do intend to breed them, but I'm not sure about joining the club. How much o you have to pay to be a member?

He is beautiful. And he's very gentle too. He loves to sit with me - he'll come up and lay his head on my leg. (Once he fell asleep and started snoring. Now there's an "OMG! fact."
lol.png
)

I have heard of the CD thing too, Dixiedoodle. Unfortunately mine are free-ranged in the cow pasture. So it won't work for me.
hmm.png
Before getting the cow they were in their yard, and we tried it with those aluminum pie tins. The wind ripped them up. So if I ever was to do it again I'd probably stick to CDs!
big_smile.png

Sorry you had to get rid of your roo, equinehugger.
hugs.gif
smile.png

WTG Big Boy.....hawks....am not liking them.

Had one flying yesterday out in front of the house. Just saw it by accident. You can't shoot them and you are not supposed to harrass them. But there was a black bird up there flying around him harrassing him.

I just happened to be doing a little target practice in the OTHER direction....really in the other direction. Couple of loud noises and he flew on.

This morning was washing dishes and saw what I think was a fox go through the back of the property....not too close to the chickens but they are in their runs safely. Went out on the back porch with the 22 and shot that direction....but towards the ground because you never know when there are hunters in the woods. Hopefully he thinks that this is not the place to be. Setting traps tonight.

Quote:
He sounds like your typical Delaware male. Strong willed, full of character and lovable. The perfect bird!
love.gif

Well, we just really started the club. We're in the beginning stages and trying to get everything up and running. We would love any and all support at this point. Membership is absolutely free and it will be most likely for the first year. We're trying to make connections and contacts in order to start a network of Delaware breeders, enthusiasts and folks who are looking to preserve this wonderful breed.

So please, check out the site, especially if you do plan on breeding. We would love to have you as a member.
smile.png

ETA: Where is S&G Poultry, I've never heard of them. I'll have to look them up if they're producing Dels of that caliber!

Last edited:
Quote:
He sounds like your typical Delaware male. Strong willed, full of character and lovable. The perfect bird!
love.gif

Well, we just really started the club. We're in the beginning stages and trying to get everything up and running. We would love any and all support at this point. Membership is absolutely free and it will be most likely for the first year. We're trying to make connections and contacts in order to start a network of Delaware breeders, enthusiasts and folks who are looking to preserve this wonderful breed.

So please, check out the site, especially if you do plan on breeding. We would love to have you as a member.
smile.png

ETA: Where is S&G Poultry, I've never heard of them. I'll have to look them up if they're producing Dels of that caliber!

I'll look into it, and maybe ask my mom.
smile.png

S&G Poultry is in Alabama. We got our meaties from them (not Cornish X. Red Rangers and Dixie Rainbows), along with their production breed and the Dellies. We got 8 Dellies, and out of the 6 boys Big Boy was the best, for looks and temperament. A couple were rather scrubby looking.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom