1 in 24...

2 chiks n a roo

Chirping
Sep 18, 2023
Screenshot_20231102-152322.png

Meet Pipi, he'll be 5 weeks old in 2 days..
Out of 24 eggs, he's the only one who lived.
He's a Hyline x with my Rhode Island Red/Shaver Roo. He sat on the eggs facedown as they were trying to hatch.. damn bully lol
He's super cute, loves his cuddles an uses my arm and shoulder as a perch. Unfortunately, he's also very lonely, I've got two lots of 10 eggs due to hatch, 1 1/2 weeks apart.
I only have one hen laying so it's been slow collection. Pips super strong and healthy. If the brooding plate had arrived when his batch were due, they may have lived. And of course, the cute ball of feathers is a damn boy..

I want to get a home for him now but I also want to see what color he turns out..
Any guesses? I'll get a better pic later when I clean his bed an give him a fly around :)

Do you think he could be introduced to some hens or pullets? He looks old enough to hold his own, that comb is nice and tall.
Yeah he's very strong. With slow introduction he would be fine. Because he's a only child, I'd hate to see him thrown in straight away, it would either scare the puppy-doo-doo outa him or anger him. He Loves humans :)
I don't have anything young enough to add him to. He's got to go to a new home. Hoping to find someone this weekend, another week under the brooding plate.
I've got 7 definite alive eggs an 3 not so sure in lockdown today, so they will hopefully hatch Sunday. I won't be home to help them so they're gonna have to tough it out.

Last edited:
May I ask, what area of the US you reside in? And have you used your state thread to help find a good home for him. He is a cutie.
You may want to get him acclimate to other chickens, before he decides you are his hen and turns mean toward humans. That can be a disaster.

May I ask, what area of the US you reside in? And have you used your state thread to help find a good home for him. He is a cutie.
You may want to get him acclimate to other chickens, before he decides you are his hen and turns mean toward humans. That can be a disaster.
Sorry I'm in New Zealand, there are a few people with chickens that do our local market, I'll be asking them in the morning if either are interested in him.
One lady was, but her roosters keep fighting an I'd rather he went to a small flock.
Pipi did meet one of the new hens I have from my neighbor yesterday, I think one of mine might accept him. But ideally, he'll get a awesome home this weekend. He needs to be under the heat one more week anyway

IMG_20231103_153410_175.jpg

IMG_20231103_153352_812.jpg

IMG_20231103_153441_533.jpg

Took these today, 5wks tomorrow :)
Last Night..
WELL!
Little Shit! 3 am an he was Still sqwarking.. it seems the (new) brooder wasn't cooling down, even though I have the temperature set at 18, it's reading 23.. so I got the covid thermometer out, an it was right so I let him have another fly round the kitchen floor to cool down a bit. So I turned his mirror around an he went to sleep after that. 4am.. if he so much as Thinks about pulling that stunt tonight.. he's Roasted!!
Still cute tho ;)

View attachment 3675083
View attachment 3675084
View attachment 3675085

Took these today, 5wks tomorrow :)
Last Night..
WELL!
Little Shit! 3 am an he was Still sqwarking.. it seems the (new) brooder wasn't cooling down, even though I have the temperature set at 18, it's reading 23.. so I got the covid thermometer out, an it was right so I let him have another fly round the kitchen floor to cool down a bit. So I turned his mirror around an he went to sleep after that. 4am.. if he so much as Thinks about pulling that stunt tonight.. he's Roasted!!
Still cute tho ;)
He's too much of a cutie to roast! :love

Back
Top Bottom