I love my rooster

Earnie really impressed my wife and I yesterday. He was singing an off key egg song and I didn't know where is was coming from so went to investigate. As I was putting on my shoes all the gals started RUNNING for cover so I moved fasterly. Earnie was still strutting out in the open singing that weird song as I got outside and towards him I saw the hawk zoom past from the corner of my eye. He is getting so brave now his spurs are starting to grow in.

On the minus side when I was putting out their feed this morning in my flip-flops I think he tried flogging me with a wing drop I hadn't had morning coffee so just really didn't notice it. I hope that helped him to realize what a trivial beast he is to me. He obviously didn't try anything else as I went back in to make my morning tea or I would have probably paid attention to that.

He sang the off key egg song last night again, we went out to investigate, he had his girls protected between the fence and a shed. We didn't see anything threatening. Then the roosters 2 properties over started singing the same alarm song too. So something was up this was near roost o'clock time anyway so we took the flock home.

This morning the hormonal brat(Earnie) did wing flog me because I brought out two stale half eaten cat food cans. The girls came running. He is still a young roo(7months) so I gave him a 3 meter kick(in my flip flops) not the full 11 meter kick treatment. He is fine I am happy to report but getting a bit groussy when I offer the girls treats. Regardless, I expect him to continue being an awesome roo once his hormones settle down.

He sang the off key egg song last night again, we went out to investigate, he had his girls protected between the fence and a shed. We didn't see anything threatening. Then the roosters 2 properties over started singing the same alarm song too. So something was up this was near roost o'clock time anyway so we took the flock home.

This morning the hormonal brat(Earnie) did wing flog me because I brought out two stale half eaten cat food cans. The girls came running. He is still a young roo(7months) so I gave him a 3 meter kick(in my flip flops) not the full 11 meter kick treatment. He is fine I am happy to report but getting a bit groussy when I offer the girls treats. Regardless, I expect him to continue being an awesome roo once his hormones settle down.

They seem to be the ones that want to find and give the girls the treats. I now toss any trears before I let them out of the coop in the run. It doesn't put me out and he is in his glory finding the good stuff. It is a win win here.

They seem to be the ones that want to find and give the girls the treats. I now toss any trears before I let them out of the coop in the run. It doesn't put me out and he is in his glory finding the good stuff. It is a win win here.
I have taken up a new practice of opening 3 cans of cat food in the morning, and another 2 at night before bed. A) Because I want those spurs to grow faster because of our overwintering hawk situation. B) To ensure my henpecked beta can fill her crop too. C) Earnie the roo does love being the hero of the can feeding and finding food for the gals!

I do love your posts description of your roo's behavior as it is spot on!
----Edited from original post below-----------
After, observing this behavior I now know why Earnie gave me that wing flogging I had mentioned a few posts back. He was gently communicating to me that I was lowering his status within the flock. He was willing to put up a fight over it should I continue. Also, he patiently waited and groused every time after the "kick" and gave me the stink eye treatment until "stoopid hooman"(me) finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I love him even more because I should put more thought into why he gets upset with me at times. All of my first and second cans of cat food now all go to him.

Last edited:
I have taken up a new practice of opening 3 cans of cat food in the morning, and another 2 at night before bed. A) Because I want those spurs to grow faster because of our overwintering hawk situation. B) To ensure my henpecked beta can fill her crop too. C) Earnie the roo does love being the hero of the can feeding and finding food for the gals!

I do love your posts description of your roo's behavior as it is spot on!
----Edited from original post below-----------
After, observing this behavior I now know why Earnie gave me that wing flogging I had mentioned a few posts back. He was gently communicating to me that I was lowering his status within the flock. He was willing to put up a fight over it should I continue. Also, he patiently waited and groused every time after the "kick" and gave me the stink eye treatment until "stoopid hooman"(me) finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I love him even more because I should put more thought into why he gets upset with me at times. All of my first and second cans of cat food now all go to him.

You will learn tons by just observing him. It's so very interesting. I ended up with two boys and I never intended to get any boys. I decided early on I would do everything possible to keep them. In order to do that I had to learn about them and what makes them tick. I firmly believe they have a reason for everything they do.

You will learn tons by just observing him. It's so very interesting. I ended up with two boys and I never intended to get any boys. I decided early on I would do everything possible to keep them. In order to do that I had to learn about them and what makes them tick. I firmly believe they have a reason for everything they do.
Yep, he is one smart little dude. I am now putting cans down only in front of him. As a reward we now have a 2 foot safe space now vs the 1.5 yard requirement. I bet in a week he will be chasing me down just like the hens for those cans.

On a much more positive chickeneering note one of my hens is begining to behave a tad bit broody so it is possible I might not be needing to order new chicks in Jan. Fingers crossed on that one.

Quick update, I still love my roo, and he still challenges me from time to time. A swift kick seems to resolve things and I have set our pack of dogs on him as well. Our latest rescue came up with him last time as the fat comfortable dogs stopped chasing him once he got out of my sight around the corner of the house.

I was scared as heck seeing her with my roo in her mouth(she did wipe out the previous years flock), she wasn't bringing him to me but was running away with him. Regardless, the roo is once again well mannered for now. Well mannered is a relative term as I have gotten flogged/threatened one more time but he met my foot again this month.

I can't turn my back on this roo and he has such pretty colors and plumage, however, I know he will settle down once his hormones chill a bit as he ages. His pseudo aggressiveness is something I totally respect, as I am sure it is why I like the stinker so much for his willingness to give his life for the flock. I do enjoy the stink-eye treatment I get whenever I am near the flock. He is totally not willing to let me around them without someone(him) taking notes. He is unstoppable but does enjoy the treats I bring, but man the little guy is like a little STASI officer, unfortunately for him he reports to me as his boss.

Back
Top Bottom