I made a Whizbang Plucker--Worked Great !!

I'm building one right now!
celebrate.gif
Got the feather plate, fingers, shaft, big pulley already. and just ordered a motor and will be picking up the wood for it in a few days. Can't wait to use it. I think it will be so much better than hand plucking.

I built one this year and it worked awesome! look up crazychickenlady98 on youtube and you will see my video. it costed me about $450 to build mine and it took about 20 seconds to pluck my chickens and we ended up doing 42 chickens in 3 hours! Way better than the 5 hours for 13 chickens last year! i think the plucker makes it faster than skinning them! I would reccommend a plucker to anyone! I built mine from the book i bought from the whizbang web site.

Quote:
What's your cost up to? I've got the book for both the plucker and cart, but I may just buy one.

I plan on renting mine out or even a complete set-up on a trailer. Everything I have read says that most folks rent theirs out for 25 bucks a day plus a refundable 50 dollar deposit. I would probably just take a credit card and have them sign a rental agreement where they understand damages will be charged to their card.
smile.png

I'm excited about using it for my pekin ducks!
wee.gif

I still have to get the lumber and a 2.5" pulley and the out door switch for it. But so far:

55 Gallon Barrel - $15
Aluminum Feather Plate, Shaft, 125 Fingers - $186.36 (includes shipping)
New Dayton 3/4 HP capacitor start, TEFC motor - $123.56 (includes shipping)
2 Pillow Block Bearings - $27.79 (includes shipping)
Idler Arm from Kimball - $37.95 (includes shipping)
16" pulley from Kimball - $69 (includes shipping)

So far - $459.66. Looks like it should come in no more than $500. I know I could have saved money and came in around $200-$300 but I decided to go ahead and use all new parts since I plan on using it a lot and I already have three people wanting to rent it for $50 each per weekend. And I figured it would pretty well pay for it self in my first use since I won't have to hand pluck 20 or so birds, and then a month later when I'll have 25 cornish x to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom