i may have a Botulism problem with my chicken

joe the chicken

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2016
help i think one of my chicken may have Botulism, it has difficulty standing and its wings are weak and they droop down also its skin is pale what should i do ?

Welcome to BYC. Botulism comes from eating a toxin found in decaying animal carcasses, maggots, or vegetation rotting underground. Usually, paralysis occurs in the feet and legs, followed by the wings, and progressing to the neck and breathing muscles. How old is she. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she able to drink or eat if she is near water and food? Dehydration and other illnesses can look similar. Place her close to food and water within reach in a basket or crate. Feed her water with a dropper or spoon to get some fluids into her. Vitamins with electrolytes should be added. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for botulism, but some chickens can survive if they survive for two days. A necropsy by your state vet would be advised if you should lose her. Sorry about your hen.

thank you for the advice, she can eat and drink but she is weak so the other chicken take the food away, i think she is 2 or 3 years old and i don't know if she has had a vaccination

good idea i have a spare chicken coop so i may put her in it, she is getting stronger and still eating but her legs are still weak and bleeding why is this ?

Back
Top Bottom