I may have an “unexpected”amount of cockerels! What do I do?

StephanieRose44

Songster
Nov 27, 2018
Fishkill NY
lol yeah did I mention I’m very open minded so..., I started my first own flock about 5 weeks ago, I’ve always loved chickens all animals wind or tame. And although I do love eggs I don’t think I’m in it for the eggs. I love to watch them. I’m sure there has been thousands of people who say the same. I love studying there behavior and personality’s. And now that I’m almost 90% sure I have two cockerels who will soon be a full grown roosters. I have 13 chicks all together and have heard mixed things about the store owner selling roosters? So I am a little paranoid. I know about the pecking order also but am concerned too I completely forgot. Angel 4wks 3 days a white leghorn I believe ( whould love to know the difference because I have 2 other leghorns, the DEFINITE ROOSTER (DAISY is now Kurt) and another the shape of Kurt)
I’m sorry but I renamed Angel Lucifer (he WAS a fallen ) lol BUT I have tried many times with this chik and Iya gotten to a point where if he gets out he chases me for treats (that I may or may morning have at that particular moment) bites my hands fingers, toes and ankles. Very skittishand extremly fast, his feathers and body shape are very different “pointy,sharp “ But what if he’s a hen ! Idk

Attachments

• AF9A9E28-1103-4B8A-AC9F-C68EE8897DE8.jpeg
    AF9A9E28-1103-4B8A-AC9F-C68EE8897DE8.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 5A3E0413-DF93-46E4-82D1-DF4DA79F6F13.jpeg
    5A3E0413-DF93-46E4-82D1-DF4DA79F6F13.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 28
When they start to crow, or lay eggs, then you will know for sure one way or other. If you are allowed to keep roosters, then they are good to have in a flock. Providing that they are tame and not aggressive. If not. then you have some options. Rehome, which is sometimes challenging, or consume as meat.
In a flock of 13 , I think you would be able to keep 2 roosters. Usually one will be dominant, and other , if smart will stay away from confrontations. If fighting is uncontrollable, then you will have to part with one unfortunately.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thank you so much for the reply I guess I will wait and see if he calms down, thankfully the big rooster is very relaxed just worried about his little hens or “pullets” lover not a fighters. The mean roster is mostly a loner but does have this younger Americans chick following around a lot. Just like the big rooster Kurt he’s got a hen too I guess there favorites

If a bird that small / young is chasing you around and biting you, then you need to change your behavior around him. Your the boss, do not let him dominate you or you will end up having to get rid of him as he will be a royal terror once he is full grown.

I wouldn't be getting to attached to Kurt and look into rehoming him.
He is a meat bird and it'll be a struggle to provide him with any kind of long term decent life.

I agree, I started to have some one on one time with Lucifer (I guess Lucy if A girl) And we definitely made some progress he let me touch gently pet her chest for a good amount of time and didn’t automatically jump or flap away when I walked by him

So Kurt is he a meat bird? Before I found out he was a boy, that’s was my first though just because of how big wide and round he is. Is that the only way to tell? Is there any possibility at all he could be just a completely different breed of chicken, is there anyway he still has a chance of being a no -meat bird I know he’s not laying any eggs but why can’t he just be a normal rooster? If he was a she would she be a meat bird as well Even if he is a meat bird, I Would still like to raise him but what should I expect in raising one (with no intention of eating I’m a 20 year vegetarian☹️)

MEAT BIRDS *** anyone with experience raising a meat bird as part of their flock? Kurt has always been my favorite bird since day one when she was “Daisy”.

Back
Top Bottom