I messed up and now all but 1 baby is dead!! **UPDATE!!! PICS heavy***

If you wanted to make a road trip to Gainseville, I have several chicks that are about 2 months old you can have. The are mixed and not sure if they are male or female yet. They have just started sleeping out side the last 2 weeks.

Quote:
Things happen, sometimes they can't be prevented and others time they could have been prevented. I've raised birds for over two years now, and just recently couldn't figure out where in the world my chicks were going. I thought my coop was secure! This morning my girls come in the house screaming I had a bird out.

It was under the truck with my two cats! One cat I don't worry about, she actually sleeps with them and loves them, she thinks they are kittens I guess. The other is my male cat, and I was shaking like a leaf, but to my surprise he just laid there. I guess mamma cat probably kicked his butt over her baby!

So, now I know where my disappearing birds have went, they actually dug under the coop and got out. I have 20/15 vison and missed it, and I am out with my birds everyday, several times a day. I bet I have close to 15 silkies running around town if they have survived. Don't knock yourself down and don't let anyone else either. Accidents happen, you feel bad, that's normal, but you fix the problem and hope there are no more. I'll make sure that I walk around all of my coops everyday now.

How old were your babies when you put them out? I don't put my silkies outside without a heat lamp until the nights are at least 80 degrees. Silkies, in my opinion, do not have as much protection due to the difference of feathers. But, that may not be true at all, it's just my opinion from looking at them. They tend to feather slower, and I think more airflow can go through their feathers because they do not stay really close to their bodies.

From looking at the age of your silkie in the pic, I would have still had heat on them, but I tend to baby my birds way too much
smile.png
I give my adults heat lamps when it's cold. I know I shouldn't, but I can't watch them suffer. If I need heat, I give them heat.

Back
Top Bottom