I must say my little feelings really got hurt today!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I have to tell you, I have a rooster that doesn't like the sound of my flip-flops. He's an otherwise normal rooster, gets along well with us; but when I go out into the hen yard with my flop-flops popping with every step, it just makes him crazy & he flogs me good!

I don't think your rooster is turning bad. I think he just doesn't like your flip-flops.

Today my sweet New Hampshire Red pullet pecked at my toenail. Maybe it was the red nail polish - and I always wear sandals in the summer. At least now I know why she went after my toes!

Sure hope your rooster doesn't try that again!

Quote:
He is about 16 weeks right now. I Have always wore my flip flops when going out to feed etc.. the flock. i also don't paint my toe nails. I have had the occasional peck at a toe but junior made me bleed in two spots and as of now I have a nice blood blister where he got me right on the shin bone. I pet and hold him everyday. He will cruise thru the yard with me on occasion when I am out there puttin around. I think my baby is having teenage angst! LOL. He was fine when I went back out later today. Don't think he liked being booted to much!
smack.gif

You will have to change the dynamic now that he's all hormonal. If you haven't established dominance over him as he grew, do it now or sharpen the axe! First, if he charges and you back down, you are telling him you can be intimidated/dominated. When one of my juvie cockerels decides to try me, I advance, spreading my arms to the sides like a roo would set his wings, and stomping my feet at him (this is a good reason to wear close toed footwear and long pants in the run). I've even been known to "bok bok" a couple times at them (much to my DHs amusement). I keep this up until I've backed the offender around the run a few times or he's retreated into the coop with the hens (nothing says surrender like hiding behind a hen!) If this doesn't work, I will grab the offender's feet and hold him upside down while I walk through the chicken yard. He is likely to be the "cell block b*tch" for a few days after that (having been demoted in the pecking order), but I rarely have any more trouble from one I've done this to. I agree that roos you have "babied" are more tempted to act out/disrespect you, but only if you don't establish a dominance behavior toward them early. My fav boy DooRoo is all "manly man" these days, and he tried getting uppity with me once ... I flipped him on his back and did "tummy tickles" like I did when he was small ... laying on his back is a submissive position but also involves pleasant interaction that distracts him from other "manly" thoughts. I have used a similar approach with a BCM roo I "babied" as a chick, as well as several silkies (okay, I admit it ... they don't really count), two of my RIRs, my Delaware, and my EE's (yes, I realize I have a rooster addiction ... my DH points this out ALL THE TIME! For some reason, the chicks that grab my attention as babies end up being roos). Anyway, if you really like this boy, it's worth trying to change the dynamic before you give up on him. That said, there are a lot of good roos out there that you don't have to have eyes in the back of your head to be around, so if he were mine he would only get so much rope, so to speak. I refuse to let any rooster disrupt my "therapy time," i.e. time with my chickens, so he would be dumplings if he didn't rehabilitate quickly.

I usually snatch them up and carry them around tucked under my arm like a football when they get uppity. Today when he attacked me I hooked my foot up under him and hucked him about 6 feet, he immediately went and hid behind the coop. When I came back out later he came up as usual with no challenge apparent. i spent about 15 minutes out there and he was fine. i like the idea of holding them by the feet. I have noticed when somebody gets uppity and I go to pick them up the other roos always try to get a few licks in before I get them off of the ground. All I know is I am at work right now and my foot is sore! I have never backed down from a rooster, it's my way or the crock pot. Unfortunately i have to cull 4 roos and we are getting down to the wire. Consistent bad behavior goes. Although I must admit I am very partial to my changeling,(he was supposedly a BO, But ummmm...he's white with dark red speckles)

Someone told me that we should never look a roo directly in the face, that they take it as a challenge because our eyes are in front like a predator. Is that true???? I'm always afraid to get my eyes pecked anyway, but mine love to fly up on my arms and the roo likes to be the highest up on my shoulder. Chicken dynamics are so fascinating!!!

Back
Top Bottom