I must share this...

youdontknow32

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
South Western PA
Hello!

Last wed. 10/8 I lost one of my Serama roos, my little one. I have 42 eggs in my incubator, so hubby tells me yesterday that one of the serama eggs is no good (Jakes egg, my roo that died) So I was upset, so it's like 8 at night and I told Matt that he might as well get that egg out if it is no good (this is our first time incubating and hatching eggs) theres this big crack in the egg which wasn't suppose to hatch until tomorrow, and he freaks out, he hears chirping and puts light up to in and sees a chick. We got our brooder ready quickly and Matt decided to help the little chick hatch. He or she is alive and well and is the cutest little thing!! I will post pictures on wed. hopefully, I have misplaced my camera. Anyhow, I lost Jake but now have his baby and more on the way, it was a bittersweet moment last night...

...at least I know Hubby can hatch eggs now:p
tongue.png
tongue.png

:)Nicole

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss...That is so neat that there happened to be a live chick in that egg. Jakes spirit must've been with that baby.

Thank you everyone!!

seminolewind,
He told me that the air pocket was taking up most of the egg, he had thought the chick stopped growing in the first place and then when he looked at it a week or so later he said the air pocket got huge, I told him it was normal (even though I didn't know), we were so close, and luckily, he/she is with us still!

-Nicole

Congrats on the new chick.

I have to warn you here that helping chicks to hatch can be very disasterous. If this chick had a fully absorbed yolk you are very lucky. Usually that isn't always the case especially a day or two early.

Thank you, we know some about it, an we are reading more now, we really didn't expect them to hatch, we still got things ready, but not everything. We more or less took away the hard shell and left the inner coating around the chick, is that ok? I don't personally know.

Thank you very much, MissPrissy.

-Nicole

Back
Top Bottom