I need a bigger brooder, fast! UPDATED in #19!

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
My 7 chicks are growing fast and I think we need something bigger for a brooder until the coop is finished!

We are working on our coop and will be building a separate area for the chicks, but first I need to integrate my two laying hens with 5 older pullets I have before I can bring the seven chicks out. Right now I have 3 different ages of chickens in 3 different pens!

My 7 chicks are inside in a 175 gallon stock tank, I think it's getting a bit tight, they are 5 weeks old. I've been putting them out in a "playpen" (made from old farmhouse shutters) in the yard when I get home for a couple hours too, but I think they need more space.

What have other people done for a quick temporary bigger brooder? They still get the heat lamp at night, but not during the day. I do have a spare room in my basement I can use to set them up, but I'd still like to contain them to keep the mess to a minimum. Right now they are in our basement mudroom. I'd love to see pictures!

Here is the outdoor "playpen" I built, I do have 3 shutters left from this project I could use.
a84f2d88.jpg

Last edited:
I got a watermelon box from the supermarket....they even have lids...you can check out in my link...about 3.5 x 4 x 2.5 ft tall

I usually get a free refrigerator box from an appliance store and lay it on its side and leave the top open. I cover the top with a few scraps of wood and lay bird netting over it when they get flighty. I use the bottom flaps as the "door" to let them out to free range. I keep it in my garage and face the door side next to the garage door to let them out. Then I just burn it when I'm done with it.

I bought an additional rubbermaid container (a really big one) for about 20 dollars and separated my chicks into 2 brooders. When I clean them, I always make sure I put them into the brooders randomly so that they remember each other.

Great ideas! I was just noticing this morning that my 4 week olds are getting too big for their container! My EE stuck her head up to the chicken wire at the top and put it right through! I'm afraid as they get bigger they could strangle themselves, scary!! Out to the store to look for boxes!!

Your outdoor project playpen looks good, but it would have to be more secure on the top. Maybe double wire and secure the wire? I used a xlarge wire dog kennel, but I only have 5 chicks in there, the other 3 are in the coop. I currently have it out in the coop to integrate the two flocks together. We are not finished with the coop either. We need to shade the run, finish insulating on the outside and make our nest boxes. I'm bringing the chicks in the house on the hot days. The 5 little ones stay in the large plastic kennel and the 3, 12 week olds hang out in our kitchen. The 12 week olds stay in one spot and are very quiet, they love it inside. I personally wouldn't separate them. Re-Integrating is not an easy task.

Last edited:
if only you guys were closer. I am moving my babies out to their new coop this week so the brooder box will be empty.

Back
Top Bottom