I Need A Buyer!!!!!!!!!!

Selling the wood would probably be the fastest, but essentially a one time thing and most would likely go to fire wood pellets. Three acres is pretty small when it comes to ag and tree stuff, especially if you're only looking to rent out half of that three acres. We had our 7 and 40 acres harvested for lumber and they took just the largest trees that were 80-110 years old for boards and fire wood pellets. Depending on your local market, maybe slowly taking it down and selling it for firewood would gather more. A cord back home goes for anywhere from 100-200 bucks depending on the wood type. Good luck getting those walnut roots out.

As for renting space out to park, insurance might be a good sum along with the fact that at least in the area back home, people will just disappear and leave their stuff at your storage place for you to get rid of. If you're close to suburbia or a large city, I'd make a little farm stand especially if you can be a stay at home mom! Most places don't regulate small farm sales off personal property.

After you sell the trees that are there, plant christmas trees and have a christmas tree farm
If you are in the right climate to grow holly, you let it grow all year and only have to harvest and sell at holiday times, mostly christmas

You could raise a couple of hogs and sell the meat
usually folks I know who raise them have them butchered by a guy who comes to them to do it
and they have the meat sold long before then
People buy like half a hog, etc.
you would need a very secure corral and a covered area they can get out of the sun under.

raise meat birds and sell them after processing
get good at processing and advertise that you will process and package other folks birds that are too squeamish (like me) to process our own.

good luck

I see you're on LI. Where abouts? I grew up in the Shirley/Mastic/Moriches area. I would go for a more specialty niche if you were doing produce. Strawberries (pick your own), pumpkins do great. LI weather lends itself to anything in the cabbage family.
I remember when LI was nothing but ducks and potatoes, LOL

the price of the wood doesn't pay for the cost of the clearing of the land

When they come in and harvest the treers, they make a big mess and pay next to nothing

and hiring a guy with a loader to clear will be more that the trees ever paid.

Last edited:
If you decide to sell off the trees for firewood or lumber make sure you have a plan for removal of the stumps. If you don't it's not going to work to till the ground and plant anything.

Last edited:
Depending on the quality of the timber, you might be able to have it selectively logged for furniture wood, and then slowly log and split the rest for firewood. Here, in an admittedly warm climate, firewood is sold in amounts as small as 1/8th cord ($30-45). A quick look shows that for furniture the wood needs to be at least 18 inches in diameter about 4-5 feet off the ground, and you need at least 10 feet to the lowest branches, more is preferred. Depending on the size of the maple trees and the type, maple syrup might be an option; however, I think the equipment is expensive. I think hogs fed walnut forage might end up pretty tasty, but I don't really know.

I looked up firewood sales for Long Island....kiln dried mixed hardwood firewood 1/8th cord is $65.

Pick your own farms are very popular in Duchess county, but that is more of a long term investment. Some very nice grapes are also grown on Long Island, but that is also long term. Honey might also be an option.

Quote:
I'm currently in Hampton Bays and the property is in Greenport. Most of the potato farmers have subdivided and sold their land where there are now big, ugly spec. houses. It's very sad. I think there's only one duck farm left. There's also lots of sod farms and vineyards. It's interesting how people's wants and needs have changed over time.

mom'sfolly :

Depending on the quality of the timber, you might be able to have it selectively logged for furniture wood, and then slowly log and split the rest for firewood. Here, in an admittedly warm climate, firewood is sold in amounts as small as 1/8th cord ($30-45). A quick look shows that for furniture the wood needs to be at least 18 inches in diameter about 4-5 feet off the ground, and you need at least 10 feet to the lowest branches, more is preferred. Depending on the size of the maple trees and the type, maple syrup might be an option; however, I think the equipment is expensive. I think hogs fed walnut forage might end up pretty tasty, but I don't really know.

I looked up firewood sales for Long Island....kiln dried mixed hardwood firewood 1/8th cord is $65.

Pick your own farms are very popular in Duchess county, but that is more of a long term investment. Some very nice grapes are also grown on Long Island, but that is also long term. Honey might also be an option.

I always wondered why there were so many vineyards growing grapes only for wine. Not one place grows for eating grapes. I know wine makes more money, but you'd think just one farm would grow them to eat!​

I wouldn't clear cut it, if you got maples I would learn to tap them and make maple syrop. a local around here does it with all his maples and sells the syrop throughout the north for 18 bucks per can that is how good you can do if your syrop is organic, and great tasting, people will actually pay more for a great product. as for walnut,..well apart form making other maple products, like maple butter, maple taffe you can also make walnut butter, it is super delicious. I would kill to have those trees on my land, to say the least my little home store would be going up ASAP with all the sort of things I can make with the maple and walnuts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom