I need a feeder that bunnies can't get into.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by temple1612, May 19, 2019.

1. temple1612

temple1612 Chirping

Jun 28, 2017
    I have a couple bunnies who live with my flock. They have been eating the chicken feed, but the feed is not good for them. I need a feeder that the hens can eat out of but the bunnies can't. Anyone have any suggestions? I am also willing and able to make something DIY.

Thank you,

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    What's your setup? I'd just put the chicken feeder on top of a table, but I have a walk-in coop.

3. temple1612

temple1612 Chirping

Jun 28, 2017
    I could put it on a table, but I have seen my bunnies get up on a 2 foot high chair. I don't want to make it hard for my hens to get their food.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    sylviethecochin likes this.
  5. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Definitely set it up on a table or roof of a mini coop. I have a mini coop, the tiny one that feed stores sell for like $100 in the spring inside the chicken run. The previous owners of my home just left it here, so I set it in the chicken run to give them options for places to lay eggs.

Anyways, the roof is flat, and about three and a half feet off the ground. I put layer ration and Oyster Shell in feeders that are on top of this little mini coup. I have another feeder on the ground with Flock Raiser or grower for the ducks and baby chicks. That way only the bigger chickens have access to the layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: