I need a NEW project....???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So since I tried (unsuccessfully) FOUR times to hatch BLRW's...I now have an empty pen (we rebuilt my entire coop this spring/summer and every breed was to have it's own area and this pen hasn't even had chickens in it, yet!).

Which I think may be a SIN!?? [​IMG]

Anyway...I was hoping for white faced blue spanish...wanted to work on those...but depsite my efforts to find a QUALITY roo and some quality andalusian hens...I have nothing. [​IMG]

Hubby thinks I should get another bantam breed...I was thinking BLRW's but I'm nervous those won't hatch and it's getting too late to hatch for me now...

I'm on a few lists for Orloffs next spring...but those were going to be "free range" birds....

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    What about Speckled Sussex?

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Wait, so do you want a new project all together, like a whole new color that hasnt been done yet or do you just want to work with an existing color in a breed? There are many possibilities, maybe work on lavender wyandottes, start with lavender cochins and black wyandottes. Or for an existing color why not columbian wyandottes, or even work on making blue columbian wyandottes. An easy mediteranian one that many people would like would be crele leghorns or barred lakenvelders (deleware pattern on lakenvelder)

4. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I like this idea! I would love a Blue Columbian Wyandotte.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I may try to do Blue Columbian Rocks later on. I know Yard Full o Rocks (Scott) plans to work on them also.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:not to get off subject i might get a pair this weekend but anyway what about porcelain silkies

7. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Cool!

8. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Go for something like Andalusians, Minorcas, Catalanas, Vorwerks, Delaware, or something that you hardly every find at all.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    How about Redcaps or Manx Rumpies? [​IMG] You could get a start with help from Sandhill I think.

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    What about Mottled Javas...or Javas in general?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by