I need a new way to fix chuck roast!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BethieofVA, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I looked in the BYC cookbook, but nada. Any good ways to use a chuck roast other than plan old pot roast? Thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I frequently cut it up and make stroganoff, stirfry (marinate overnight first) or stew. I love the chuck, it's very flavorful.

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I put mine in the crockpot frozen with a cup of water and a packet of onion soup mix and let it go on high all day. Thicken the gravy right before serving with rice!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
  5. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    EASY CHUCK ROAST

4 tbsp. oil
    1 (2-3 lb.) chuck roast
    1 can mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 env. dry onion soup
    12 oz. water
    1 c. red wine or dark beer
    Salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste

Add oil to Dutch oven pot. Brown chuck on top of stove in Dutch oven pot. Brown roast on both sides, seasoning well with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix soups, water and wine and add to roast and cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Turn at least 2 to 3 times while baking.

This is how I make it every time and my family loves it. I hated eating roast as a kid because it was so dry. I fixed this for my parents and the first thing they did was ask for ketchup. I had to ask them to try it first without the ketchup. Once they did they never asked for it again. My Dad did ask me for the recipe though.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cube it and put it on skewers with veggies (I use onion, bell peppers) You can use mushrooms too, but I don't like them so I don't.

Place skewers in a large shallow pan and cover with equal parts soy sauce and sherry (dry). Sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper over the top. Let sit for several hours to marinate - the longer it sits, the stronger the teriyaki flavor.

Take the skewers out and BBQ them.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I make beef tips over rice with it, buy beef gravy, add thinly chopped beef and pour over rice or noodles. Delicious!

8. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Cook it in the crock pot with some bbq sauce, then shred it for shredded beef sandwiches.
    Make a little cole slaw and baked beans to go with it. It will feel like summer!

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    This is the easiest ever! Put it in the crockpot with a can of spaghetti sauce. Cook on low all day OR overnight. Serve it with some garlic bread; you won't believe how good it is (or how easy)...

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    OK you've started me on the grand search now. A friend of mine in SC had an uncle who had been a chef. He did a pot roast with Mexican seasoning which was then shredded, layered with corn tortillas and had a gravy on it that was out of this world. I have since moved out of state and changed computers, so I can't lay a hand on the recipe, but I'm lookin'! It's here somewhere (I hope).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by