I need a salsa recipe HELP I'm over run with tomatoes!

Cilantro is what gives Salsa that mexican restruant flavor - - - - I won't make salsa with out it.

Ingredients:

Tomatoes - - - Chop / Diced
Onions - - - MINCED to finely chopped
( I use a little less than half the about of onions as tomatoes that I started with.
Like 1 onion for every 2 - 3 tomatoes - - - asssuming onions and tomatoes are the same size. Use only sweet onions).
Cilantro - - We love this and use 1 bunch for small batch of salsa ( around 5 large tomatoes)
Chop the leaves only.

FRESH Garlic minced - 1 clove for every 2 tomatoes
Lemon Juice - - - - this adds a letter flavor and keeps the tomatoes from turning colors
one cap full for every 1 - 2 tomatoes
Salt and Pepper - - - to taste
Chili powder - - - just a dash

Too Your Taste - - more if you like it hot, less if Not

Dried Red chile pepper flakes
( I don't use any or mine, but my husband and daughter likes theirs hot so they add some . . . a little goes a long way)

Cayene Pepper - - - just a dash, adds heat and flavor

Jalepeno Peppers - - - one pepper per 3 tomatoes for mild.
One pepper per 2 tomatoes for med.
One pepper per 1 tomatoes for hot.
Use gloves, deseed the pepper, use food grinder to process pepper. BE VERY CAREFUL.
Don't touch your face or eyes, nose etc. The oils will burn for hours after you have handled
Jalepeneo oils.

We only use a food processer for the Jalepeno peppers. We like our salsa to have pieces in it. A food processor will give the whole batch more of a texture of taco sauce verses salsa.

Quote:
That's so true. We manually chop a lot of veggies for salsas and relishes because a food processor just makes them too fine. We use the food processor for things more 'sauce like'.

Quote:
That's so true. We manually chop a lot of veggies for salsas and relishes because a food processor just makes them too fine. We use the food processor for things more 'sauce like'.

Not so fast: Not all food processors are alike. My food processor has a pulse cycle that gives a coarse chop only. I like my salsa coarse also....I like to see the different ingredients.

Cilantro can be purchased in a dry crushed form in the spice counter at the supermarket. It is the leaf form or the coriander plant before it flowers and goes to seed. I dry some of mine in my food dehydrator, crush it and store it in a jar.
My hubby doesn't like the taste of cilantro so when I make my salsa, I reserve some back for him and then add the cilantro.

I also have tons and tons of tomatos, and use them to make this salsa. I make the base and freeze it in zip lock bags, then in the middle of the winter, I pull a bag from the freezer and add the rest of the ingredents.

7 tomatos
3 dried chili de Arbol (these are small dried chilis, usually found in the ethnic section of your store)
1 head roasted garlic

Place the tomatos and chilis in a dry frying pan and let them go on low heat until the outsides are black and chared. They will pop and crack, but this is normal. Let them cool a little and then place them, the chilis and the roasted garlic in a blender and carefully blend until smooth. (this is where I bag and freeze it.)

When you want salsa, pull a bag from the freezer and thaw. Add 1 red onion, finely diced and a bunch of celantro leaves, chopped. A little splash of lemon or lime juice, some salt and pepper and it's time to enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom