I need a side dish (casserole) fit for a senator!

I wonder how it will bake up as a quadruple recipe?
If you decide to do something like scalloped potatoes, that's easy...just buy several boxes of the cheap stuff from the store.
big_smile.png

If you are doing the cooking for all the people who are not qualified to cook, then the non-cookers should be contributing cash to pay for the ingredients you use.

Here is a recipe for Crock-pot Cheesey Potatoes. I use a recipe very similar, but I use Cheddar Cheese. I have also made it by par-boiling potoates and dicing them up before putting into the crock-pot.

10 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
8 oz. container sour cream
1-1/2 cups shredded Cojack cheese
32 oz. pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes

Spray 4-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine soup, sour cream and cheese in medium bowl and mix well. Pour half of potatoes into prepared crockpot. Top with half of sour cream mixture. Top with rest of potatoes, then remaining sour cream mixture, spreading evenly. Cover and cook on high for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. If you have a newer, hotter crockpot, check at 3 hours to see if the potatoes are tender.

So sorry. I have a great recipe for cabbage caserole. Very delicious and if you can find cabbage on sale, it is cheap.

The BYC website will not allow me to paste it. I will try a PM and see if it will work that way

Asparagus Risotto

1 large onion small dice (about 2 cups)
4 tbls EVO
4 tbls butter

1 pound arborio rice
8 oz dry white wine (use my wife's chardonnay, please)
1 tablespoon dry tarragon

2 48 oz cans of chicken stock preheated to a high simmer
1lb asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
4 tbls butter
2 lemons, zested, (save lemons in case the risotto needs a little boost of lemon juice at the end)
2 cups plus freshly grated parmesan cheese

Bring chicken stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer
In a LARGE skillet heat EVO and 4 Tbls butter until it starts to bubble, add onion and sweat about 4 minutes until it is almost clear, now add the arborio rice and stir and sauté about 3-4 minutes until the rice browns just a little. You must keep stirring the rice all the time, it's like teenagers, you can't take your eyes off it. Add the white wine and herbs. Stir and cook until the rice is almost dry, this is called the sofrito stage. Now add about 6 oz of the hot chicken stock and keep stirring to move the rice around always exposing the granules to the heat of the pan (this gets the rice to release it's starch). When the pan starts getting dry add another 6 oz or so of the stock, keep repeating this until you have about 2 cups of stock left in the stock pan. Now add the asparagus spears and some more stock and keep stirring that rice. Total cooking time until you have used up all the stock is about 25 minutes. When all the stock is used up remove from heat, add the 2nd 4 oz. butter and stir vigorously, add the lemon zest and grated cheese and taste for seasoning. That lemon zest is gonna really give the risotto a nice subtle little boost. You may want to adjust seasoning by hitting the risotto with a bit of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Nobody is gonna be serving risotto with asparagus, the Senator will really like it. Trust me I know these things.

Back
Top Bottom