I need an Honest Opinion.

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
So I am thinking of squeezing 4 more hens into my current flock. This leaves each hen having 10 square feet in the run and 4.5 square feet in the coop. I first made my coop and run big enough so I might add more hens later on. I know the minimum space per chicken is 10 square feet though I don't know if this is crowded. I don't know anybody who has chickens, so I need someone's opinion if this is a bad idea.

So I am thinking of squeezing 4 more hens into my current flock. This leaves each hen having 10 square feet in the run and 4.5 square feet in the coop. I first made my coop and run big enough so I might add more hens later on. I know the minimum space per chicken is 10 square feet though I don't know if this is crowded. I don't know anybody who has chickens, so I need someone's opinion if this is a bad idea.
It's very crowded for integration.
Any chance you can expand the run?

I could expand the run to where each has 15 square feet outside and still have 4.5 square feet inside, but I don't think it would look very good being too close to the house.
Post pics of coop and run, please.

..and tell us....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1620847413675.png

It's in a good size range for the long-term, but integration is one of the things that tends to need more space.

Can you provide any temporary housing/run space for the integration period that you can later take back down?

This is what I've done for my New Arrivals: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-accomodations-for-the-new-arrivals.1466672/ (Note, this is not predator-proof and should only be used inside a secure enclosure).

0511211405.jpg

This is a temporary hoop coop that @paintedChix made with a cattle panel and t-posts. You could make something of the sort with the plan to take it down after integration had been accomplished.
18nov18_123140-jpg.2430000

Back
Top Bottom