I need chicken trator ideas

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
I would like a chicken tractor that could hold ten standard size chickens. It needs to be easy for a 5'4' 120lb woman to move by herself. I would need nest boxes. Does anyone have any good plans? We built one before but it was way to heavy to move. Thanks!

I'm working on a tractor with the pen made of stock panel -- also known as cattle panel or hog panel. The panels are rigid enough that you can hook them together with cable clamps and they'll stand up on their own. You have to cover them with weld wire or hardware cloth, because the spaces are pretty big, but they're sturdy enough to keep out dogs, and light enough to drag without falling apart.

They come in 16 foot lengths, three feet or four feet high. About $20 or $30 per panel, depending on where you get them.

sorry I don't have pics yet.

Just a idea you might think about. I made my coop on a small utility light trailer. It holds my 7 chickens with no crowding. To move it I just hook it up to the car and away i go.

32069_coopandchicken.jpg

i one day wont to build one from an old running gear (hay wagon frame) if i can find on for nothin or next to it

Saw one on an old hay wagon on a BYC post, and it was big enough to include the run. Do not recall how many chooks were in it or if they said.

I had the bright idea of making ones that could somehow be folded away. That way in the winter i can just let everyone overwinter together in a shed and store the tractors.
So my thoughts are as follows. These will be for silkies but i would make plans as well for standard sized birds.
I thinking along the lines of a chicken ark.
How much space is needed for say 4 birds.
How to make it fold and yet be study.
Do you need a roost?
How to build a shelter that has two nest boxes?
Could you build into it an option for a waterer and feeder that can be filled from the outside.
Removable feeder/waterer
How to get to the eggs and birds easy?
How will you move it?
If i think of anything else ill add it later.

Back
Top Bottom