I need composting help!

I live on a larger property at the edge of town, and the houses up the street are semi-suburbia - so if they need chips from my roomy driveway that has room for a pile whereas theirs don't, they're welcome to take what they need. I'll just request another chipdrop when I run out. I like all my neighbors, and want to encourage them in their gardening endeavors. Maybe I'll put a "free" sign on my chip pile. like I did last year when I put out some tomato plants, and most of them were taken.

:clap:bow:love I think having good neighbors starts with being one! Congrats.

Ive looked into that here. Unfortunately others pay them the drop them off, seems like some sort of racket going on. they drop them at the 'non profit' who then sells them for a hefty markup to support their 'cause'. The drivers are not going to turn down a few fins for a drop either im sure.

ive asked around, and it seems they have their customers they like, and everyone else, well if one of the liked are not available, you might get some.

FWIW, they like to drop the stuff off close to where they cut it, less of a drive for them.
They like if you take logs too, less work and unloading for them.
they like people who 'tip them grandly' over non tippers as well.

If you live out in the boonies a bit, probably not going to see them too often. I have some other friends who are .. lets just say, out in the country a bit and wide open access, drive the truck up anywhere on my land and just dump it. they can't get anyone to drive the extra 10 minutes to go up to them.

It sounds likeit all depends on where you live. Some places they are really nice, others, it's your typical lazy ass kids who don't want to do ANYthing that might resemble work.

Aaron

I think the "luck" of getting a chip drop really depends on the area and how readily available chips actually are. I live in an area where trees are plentiful and people are always getting tree service done, and the tree companies have to pay to dispose of chips, so they're always thrilled to hand out free chips for any takers (and then they'll beg you to take a second load, or a third).

It sounds likeit all depends on where you live. Some places they are really nice, others, it's your typical lazy ass kids who don't want to do ANYthing that might resemble work.

I think it totally depends on where you live. I am assuming that the arborists will have to benefit in some way to make it worth their while to drop a load at a residence. They get charged for dumping the wood chips at the landfill where I live, but I suppose everything comes down to time and money and they probably won't go far out of their way to dump a load.

If they are paying 60 bucks and a 40 minute drive to dump a load of wood, then it is in their favor to have somewhere 5 minutes away to drop it for free IMO. Even if I ended up paying them a little bit to do the drop off, im good with that, in fact, I tend to tip delivery drivers, the mail man, etc etc anyways.

It's the principle of it really. I could tell you a story of one attempt but, well, we get the idea.

Aaron

I think the "luck" of getting a chip drop really depends on the area and how readily available chips actually are. I live in an area where trees are plentiful and people are always getting tree service done, and the tree companies have to pay to dispose of chips, so they're always thrilled to hand out free chips for any takers (and then they'll beg you to take a second load, or a third).
Yeah, I think that's it exactly. When I got my first drop, they really wanted me to take more. I must be a unicorn - rural enough to be near lots of trees, suburban enough so that people want their land to look landscaped, and a mile from where two highways meet.

Yeah, I think that's it exactly. When I got my first drop, they really wanted me to take more. I must be a unicorn - rural enough to be near lots of trees, suburban enough so that people want their land to look landscaped, and a mile from where two highways meet.
Yeah that sounds similar to my location - we're not rural (by definition) but outside of suburbs, and I live directly off a main thoroughfare between 3 towns. One of my tree guys lives down the road from me, so he'll even pull up alongside while I'm jogging and ask if I need chips. 😅

I looked into this chip drop, I had never heard of it before! So do you have any say on what or how much you get or is it just the luck of the draw?
Never heard of this Chip Drop. I have used wood chips for years but it has always been a hit-or-miss as to when I could get some. I have always relied on that and the leaves that I pick up from the ritzy people downtown, who bag'em up to go to the landfill and the occasional, get lucky to find, tree trimming service who is actively doing work in my area and will deliver to my house. Not the best system but the best I could come up with. But it let me keep a decent mulch on the garden.
Recently I got in touch with a tree service company who is locally owned and operated and we have a verbal agreement that if he has a load worth making a trip to my house ( out in the sticks) he will give me a call. I got my first load this morning, about 5 yards. Should cover the garden.
Maybe I will try to expand my compost making expertise (never been really good @ it) to using the tree chip stuff (good amount of green stuff in it) and make more compost for the "Rancho".

That's a good problem to have though. If I had my way they'd drop about 100 trucks off here. The entire back yard is crap, Id love to just bury it all under 6 inches of mulch and then plant on it what I want, where. Let the girls dig wherever they do, going after the worms and inevitable treats. It's all behind a fence. Front Yard - Prissy Wissy for the HOA Nazi's. Back Yard (Behind the Fence) - Do NOT TOUCH my red neck swamp hillbilly hangout dammit !! I got Treez, I got BEEZ, -- I got a FISH, it's A Coy in a Dish, I got Chickens, and Berries for Pickins, and I got Plants, and also Fire Ants :( We have Garlic, and Tarlic, and Peas in a Pod, and Taters all clustered in a muddy ole clod. There's a boat, and a moat, and some poop from a goat. There's a kitchen, for bitchin, and a trailer for hitchin, and if you mess up, a first aid kit for stitchin !! It may not be pretty, it may not stand out, but come for a visit, generosity is what it's all about.

Once I die, I couldn't care less about the 'resale value', oh you need to put in a sprinkler system, umm NO, the greedy never say hello unless they need something next of kin, can worry about that :D

aaron

Back
Top Bottom