I need help ~ Are these pullets or roo's?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have 5 - 18 week old Barred Rocks. 2 of them are obviously roo's. The other 3 I am having a hard time deciding. Based on comb and wattle size compared to the 2 roos, I would say pullets, but based on coloring and feathering I am leaning towards roo's. Can someone please tell me what you think? Thanks!

(I know the coloring doesn't look the best, I have been treating them for anemia and their coloring has improved 150% since last Saturday.)

The 2 Roo's
DSC_9530_0022.jpg

The 2 Roo's and 2 of the 3 in question...
DSC_9536_0028.jpg

DSC_9537_0029.jpg

DSC_9538_0030.jpg

DSC_9543_0035.jpg

Here are some close-up's of one of them.....

DSC_9560_0051.jpg

DSC_9561_0052.jpg

DSC_9562_0053.jpg

DSC_9563_0054.jpg

And here is my little midget chicken. What do think, is she a she or a he?

DSC_9564_0055.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking that they all had the coloring and feathering of roo's. I hatched 6 last fall, I have these 5 left. I did take one of the roo's in last week for a necropsy last week because he had a bum leg and I needed to find out if there was anything wrong with them due to their poor coloring and stunted growth. So if these are all roo's then that means 6 out of 6 were roo's. WOW!!!!! Anyone else have a 100% cockerel hatch?

Last edited:
Omigosh, Steff, this is a first! Although a couple have smaller combs, they also have saddle feathers coming in. An all rooster hatch....never had one of those! Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Later, when I can get on my feet and collect eggs myself, I'll be glad to send you more. This is highly unusual! Well, dang. On the bright side, they are looking much much better! I'm glad you took my advice on helping them along.
BTW, if you're interested in Barred Easter Eggers, I can send you some of those eggs (easy for DH to recognize and collect). They will lay green eggs. Cross between my BR rooster and and my Ameraucanas.

Some will have beards and some probably wont, but I have two blue Ameraucanas, one black Ameraucana, one splash Ameraucana and two EE girls.
My Panda is Zane's daughter with my older blue Ameraucana hen. Panda lays a green egg, but bred back to my BR rooster, her uncle Dutch, her daughters will lay some green and possibly some tan eggs. All the BR/Ameraucanas and the BR/EE (except Panda) should produce green egglaying daughters just like Panda is. So, later, if you think you might want some, just let me know.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom