I NEED HELP ASAP!!! Please!?!

thank you! I'm going to run out and get some in an hour or two.
fl.gif

50 mg thiamin per tablet. The first few days I went through probably 5 coating all her food, putting it in water etc. Know that vit B is water-soluble so you dont need to be concerned about over-dosage. The babies will eliminate what they dont need but I believe they need a lot to start with. They need to play catch-up a this point.
It also contains 50 mg riboflavin, 50 mg niacin, 50 mg vit b 6, 400 mcg folate, 50 mcg vit b 12, 50 mcg biotin, and 50 mg pantothenic acid. I also used a multi vit dissolved in her water to give her other vits she might need.

Hope your chicks do better soon. Best wishes with that.

I was just searching around the BYC for thiamine deficiencies & came across this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=317581&p=1
If
interested, read thru the posts, they get even more interesting on the subject of thiamine & vit B, etc.

A few months ago, I discovered that the common medicated chick starter feeds have a thiamine inhibitor to prevent cocci; they don't contain the medicines that I would have expected. I only do organic, including my organic chick starter anyway with no problems so far here. they get ground/chopped up pieces of chickweed, grass, etc. once in a while too. On another subject, I do give a few drops of cod liver oil for vit D to prevent ricketts or the like from the lack of true sunshine from being in indoor brooders. My grandma was a great stickler on preventing ricketts in livestock & humans, she had seen a lot of cases in her time. Gotta love that 'ole time' knowledge.

I bought polyvisol and started giving it to them yesterday. They're no better, but no worse so I have some hope, lol!

I completely changed their shavings so I could see exactly what the 'new' poop looked like and it looks completely normal, so I know it's not cocci. And I can't imagine how it could be marek's... so I'm still counting on it being a vitamin deficiancy. I'll post again in a couple days.
smile.png

I agree it will take time. I dont know "polyvisol" but Im researching it. I see some warning about iron in it. Id advise also crushing up a multi-B and putting it in water and food for them.

Just wanted to update.... it seem like they're getting better! I've only been putting vitamins in their water instead of in their mouth (didn't want to overdose them), they are slowly (but surely!) getting better. The younger chicks are completely well - I think since they were younger their deficiency wan't quite so drastic.

Thanks for all of the advice!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom