I need help choosing a species "newbie here"

That's funny because I heard that geese were noisy.
lol.png

I think I might just get welsh harlequin ducks. Do you guys use metal in your pens? Or do you use like a heavy cloth aviary netting?

Do ducks eat lawn grass? Because if they don't I might have to get geese. I don't want my dad spooking them with his lawn mower.

Just get a few (
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
) of each. Then get a few more as you see some you do not have. By the time you are finished, you will be a full fledged member of BYC.
he.gif
he.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

Ok, I think 12 birds is good to start with. I'm thinking of 8 ducks, 4 geese. Ducks will be 3:1 ratio, female to male. Geese in pairs.

or maybe 8 ducks, 8 geese, ah w/e. I'm getting both. We will see how much money I have.

Probably just 12, these guys will eat too much in the winter, and no forage outside.

Last edited:
Northeastdude you may want to consider getting two pairs of geese. Contrary to popular opinion domestic geese do not permanently pair bond for life. One gander can easily handle two girls and then you won't have the pre breeding season fights. One drake of most breeds can easily handle six hens. Too many drakes is very hard on your hens.

Mezters says 1 drake for 3-5 hens. hmm

Alright if I get 2 drakes and 10 hens + 2 ganders and 4 hens. How much feed do you think I will burn through this coming winter?
tongue.png

Quote:
2 drakes and 10 hens is good for the ducks, but I would do 1 gander and 4 hens for the geese.

Good you found a place that sexes for you, because you have to really be lucky when picking them yourself. I learned this from experience. I always seem to get more males than females, then I have to pick who goes in the freezer and who gets to stay. It is usually the tamest that stays.

Quote:
2 drakes and 10 hens is good for the ducks, but I would do 1 gander and 4 hens for the geese.

Good you found a place that sexes for you, because you have to really be lucky when picking them yourself. I learned this from experience. I always seem to get more males than females, then I have to pick who goes in the freezer and who gets to stay. It is usually the tamest that stays.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't quite decided if I want to order them sexed or not. I like meat. But I am still on the fence. If I don't eat any of them this year, I could have a decent breeding population starting next spring and eat my heart out then.

eh, still in the planning stage. 18 birds will set me back 200.

Back
Top Bottom