I need help figuring out my roosters intentions.

Pretty sure bet they are much much more mature than the 9 week olds, if they were anywhere close to the age of the 9 week olds they likely wouldn't be identified as "roosters".

To the op take Ole Grey Mare's advice and separate ASAP before some of the chicks are seriously injured or killed.

Eh, to folks who use the appropriate terms (pullet/cockerel & hen/rooster) that is a natural assumption - however, we all know what ***-uming does, and I have seen plenty of folks refer to males as young as a few weeks as roosters in posts here on BYC, so I've simply adopted the ask and be sure policy.

I was afraid you would give such a young age for your littles. While an exact age may not be known, are the roosters mature/grown? Can you post a photo of them If the roosters are beyond 4 months of age this is a situaiton that is a recipe for disaster and your little ones are going to be the ones that pay the price. You really need to separate them, grow your little ones out and then approach your integration differently when the day comes. Also, as pointed out above, your gender ratio is fairly out of balance with only six girls and two roos.

Are they adult roosters? Those girls are way too young to be with grown up roosters. The roosters will try to breed them by grabbing the back of their necks and mounting. He uses his spurs and his grip on the neck to hold himself in position. It is not gentle, the roosters can kill those little girls.

I didn't know that at all.. the roosters are full grown. ones older than the other which is the one thats doing it..... wierd i didn't know they mated like that neverless that they would do that to the little ones! We might need to make some changes then :(

Eh, to folks who use the appropriate terms (pullet/cockerel & hen/rooster) that is a natural assumption - however, we all know what ***-uming does, and I have seen plenty of folks refer to males as young as a few weeks as roosters in posts here on BYC, so I've simply adopted the ask and be sure policy.

Oh I wasn't correcting your terminology, what I meant was I doubt if they would be sexed as "definitely male" if they were only 9-10 weeks old. Yes, some can be sexed that early by know legible people but in this case I would assume the male characteristics are extremely obvious.

Last edited:
I didn't know that at all.. the roosters are full grown. ones older than the other which is the one thats doing it..... wierd i didn't know they mated like that neverless that they would do that to the little ones! We might need to make some changes then :(

If I were you I would be running out there right NOW to separate the chicks. Please don't wait and then post in a day or two that sadly one or more was badly hurt.

I have a different take on management. I raise young Pullets with one or more mature roosters as a matter of routine, I don't separate them. My roosters basically ignore the immature birds, though, or look on them to be protected. I would be removing the aggressive rooster and leaving the pullets with the nicer guy. A mature rooster should have no cause to be grabbing a female that young. Since the other rooster seems to be minding his manners, let him be with the ladies.

I have a different take on management. I raise young Pullets with one or more mature roosters as a matter of routine, I don't separate them. My roosters basically ignore the immature birds, though, or look on them to be protected. I would be removing the aggressive rooster and leaving the pullets with the nicer guy. A mature rooster should have no cause to be grabbing a female that young. Since the other rooster seems to be minding his manners, let him be with the ladies.
But you have mature hens for your boys. The OP only has 9 week old chicks.

A very valid approach, but I do wonder that the dump and run approach that was taken to the integration of this group - and the recent stress on the roosters from being moved - coupled with unknown history of their keeping and handling before might short circuit it being a workable solution for this particular situation.

A very valid approach, but I do wonder that the dump and run approach that was taken to the integration of this group - and the recent stress on the roosters from being moved - coupled with unknown history of their keeping and handling before might short circuit it being a workable solution for this particular situation.

we really didn't want roosters, my father in law called on his way down with them from a friend of his... we have our little girls for laying not hatching... we have separated the rooster from the girls and...well we were keeping our girls in the house until they started perching and pooing everywhere lol. my son thinks they are his and he is two, he's extremely mad at us for putting them out but we were planning on eating one of the roosters anyways, so it looks like its his unlucky tendencies that landed him in the pen. the other one will lay with the girls to keep them happy and calm.. he's gotten them to go out into the grass and has even stayed down below with them till we get them inside the coop (they haven't figured out our ramp yet, hubby is customizing it soon). Thank you, and everyone in this post tho, i seriously didn't know how they mated and that they would go after chicks. my hubby wanted laying hens, i wanted rabbits, and i've sort of taken on the responsibility of both it seems... plus two orphaned doves after that storm Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom