I need help figuring this behavior out!!! Are they stir crazy??

SharLynn

Hatching
6 Years
May 10, 2013
I have 12 chicks; some are 4 weeks, some 5 weeks, some are 6 weeks. I have a 4 week old EE pullet and a 6 week old EE pullet that are BOTH starting a crazy behavior!
They are all still inside our cabin in large cages because the coop isn't finished yet.
Both of them will be eating and then out of the blue JUMP and run like crazy!!!
This is something new, that none of the others are doing. Is this normal or are they going stir crazy?

Last edited:
Six-week olds are extremely active. If you are able, take them outdoors on the back lawn for some supervised exercise. You'll see them run flat out like their tails were on fire, and they even flap their little wings and achieve low-level flight.

But first you'll want to train them to come to you when you need to gather them back up. It's very hard to catch baby chicks because they're so fast. For a few days, give them their favorite treat from a distinctive container. They will identify the treat with the container, and all you have to do when you want to gather them up is to show them the container. It will be useful for the rest of their lives, as a matter of fact.

But do get them some outdoor time to stretch their legs and wings!

well, is this something that can kill them or make them a mental case? It's still only like 50 or 60 degrees during the day here.

50 and 60 is actually nice summer weather for us.

I have my about six week old chicks in that kind of weather right now, they are doing great.

Maybe you can set up a little playpen for them. Perhaps set up a roll of wire to temporarily enclose them while you are working right there.

I have only one that is 6 weeks; the rest are 4 and 5 and that is too young for 50 and 60 degrees. I'm still trying to figure out this bizarre behavior from two of them....any ideas?!

I would think that they see something that startles them. Even a flying bug, or a shadow can make mine jump. As they get older they learn that shadows aren't going to kill them, but when they are young, they will jump at everything.

well, we do have a mosquito or two that flies through; just odd, that it's just those two though, lol...

Back
Top Bottom