I need help getting my chickens to find their nesting boxes!

It looks like you have a nice setup for nesting boxes! I would get rid of the trays and just lay bedding or straw in the enclosures. If you change this frequently it should stay pretty clean since the bedding will absorb any droppings. I would also clear out the stuff in front of the boxes so that it is easy for the hens to get to the boxes. I would also make sure you have food and water nearby (easily accessible). Good luck!
D.gif

The hens were ready to lay eggs before I had any nest boxes. They had selected a place under roof outside the coop, but inside their pen. Since they had selected the spot, that's where I built their nest boxes.

I have a friend that has a massive coop for 3 hens-size of large shed. The nesting box became their perches to roost on because she never put a roosting spot in. The hens ended up laying in a spot in the corner on the dirt ground. I have researched this topic and experts say NOT to let the hens lay on ground under any circumstances because of disease and hygiene issues. Just saying

I would try grabbing the hens and set set her in there,make her feel comfortable and make it so she feels at home. Then she might decide to lay her eggs in there-just a thing we do ;)

I keep a bag of golf balls on hand for such problems, never failed me yet. Helps with hens eating eggs also, as they cant eat the golf balls they give up in time.

honestly I wouldn't grab a chicken and make it go anywhere. mine didn't get an interest in the nest box until the ready to lay eggs. so put a golf ball in each nest and leave them alone. that's what I did and I got an egg yesterday and today for the first time.

Plain straw is the best - stays clean and the hens like to move it around to make a good sitting position to lay there eggs. I think the curtains might be a problem! ha

honestly I wouldn't grab a chicken and make it go anywhere. mine didn't get an interest in the nest box until the ready to lay eggs. so put a golf ball in each nest and leave them alone. that's what I did and I got an egg yesterday and today for the first time.

It works for me, and you don't have to "Make" them go there, just coax them and hold them, put them in the box, make her feel comfortable and leave her alone. Not a big deal, it can even make your chicken feel more comfortable with the owner also. So it has a few benefits that some people over look.

Sounds crazy but if you "mate" with the hens - when they squat give them a vigorous rub along their back paying special attention to the tail area and tugging a little on their neck feathers, they may start to lay. I have had success with this on over half of our chickens. Almost like I am reminding them that they are coming of age by "mating" with them and they start to lay within a couple days.

Sounds crazy but if you "mate" with the hens - when they squat give them a vigorous rub along their back paying special attention to the tail area and tugging a little on their neck feathers, they may start to lay.  I have had success with this on over half of our chickens.  Almost like I am reminding them that they are coming of age by "mating" with them and they start to lay within a couple days.

That is wierd, have never tried that- maybe I can get my 6-7 month Polish hen to start laying...

Back
Top Bottom