I need help its my hen

Vanitychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
33F83416-73E4-4DBA-A64A-DD19F8A15769.jpeg
CD52F00B-4743-4C2F-817F-4258CC146846.jpeg Ok so for several days now ive noticed my hen hasnt been able to walk right she can walk but if she tripsshe just lays there and wont move or she can just be walking and randomly lay down and now she doesnt get up unless i help her and shes has a sort of cry and one of my other hens kept pecking her face so i seperated them any help?

Keep them separate until you can get a handle on what's ailing your sick girl. Is this a laying hen, pullet, or spent hen? If she's been laying, when was her last egg laid? If she's never laid an egg, how long ago did her 'sisters' start laying? Is she's a spent hen, how old is she? Is this a paralysis of one or both legs? How's her crop feel after a day of eating and drinking? How does it feel before you've offered her food and water in the morning? What's her poop look like? Pictures of the poop are welcome and usually helpful.

Great questions from @Tycine1 and answering them can give us plenty of clues.

In addition to those, can you recall where she was hanging out right before you noticed her distress? Do you have any standing puddles with scummy water? How about compost that may be deep and putrid at the bottom where she could have been digging things up?

How about pesticides and machinery in the area that may be leaking fluids onto the soil? Could she have encountered anything moldy? Table scraps? A discarded apple or peach that was moldy?

Great questions from @Tycine1 and answering them can give us plenty of clues.

In addition to those, can you recall where she was hanging out right before you noticed her distress? Do you have any standing puddles with scummy water? How about compost that may be deep and putrid at the bottom where she could have been digging things up?

How about pesticides and machinery in the area that may be leaking fluids onto the soil? Could she have encountered anything moldy? Table scraps? A discarded apple or peach that was moldy?
It has been raining an awful lot and im not an expert but would some if the other girls be like her and there is manure in the coop from them i planned in cleaning it out but there not in there most of the day i let them free range

Keep them separate until you can get a handle on what's ailing your sick girl. Is this a laying hen, pullet, or spent hen? If she's been laying, when was her last egg laid? If she's never laid an egg, how long ago did her 'sisters' start laying? Is she's a spent hen, how old is she? Is this a paralysis of one or both legs? How's her crop feel after a day of eating and drinking? How does it feel before you've offered her food and water in the morning? What's her poop look like? Pictures of the poop are welcome and usually helpful.
Her last egg was a while ago its been getting cold here so theyve all stopped she eats and drink fine its tricky she can walk fine but it she has to get over something or lay down she lays in her side so im like i never had to deal with this beifee so im like idk what to do there poop looks normal to me

I would offer her some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes with vitamins in her water often. Try to get her eating some cooked egg, wet chicken feed in a small bowl, canned cat food or whatever she will eat. In chickens, reproductive disorders and crop problems can be common. Here crops should feel empty early in the morning when she wakes. If not she may have a crop disorder. If you have a vet who will test some fresh droppings on Monday, you can rule out sorms and coccidiosis.

Since you mentioned it's been very wet, this could be a coccidiosis outbreak. It's simple and easy to go ahead and treat for it on the off chance this is what's causing her problem.

Get some liquid Corid from the feed store. It will say it's for cows or other livestock, but it's good for chickens, also. Mix two teaspoons of Corid into one gallon of fresh water and give it to all the chickens as their only water source. Mix it fresh each day and do it five days running.

Give it one week and do it again for five more days.

Meanwhile, if she improves, we will be able to conclude that coccidiosis was her problem. If she doesn't improve, then we need to consider something along the lines of an avian virus such as Marek's or avain leucosis causing tumors on her joints or even her brain or spinal column.

Will
I would offer her some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes with vitamins in her water often. Try to get her eating some cooked egg, wet chicken feed in a small bowl, canned cat food or whatever she will eat. In chickens, reproductive disorders and crop problems can be common. Here crops should feel empty early in the morning when she wakes. If not she may have a crop disorder. If you have a vet who will test some fresh droppings on Monday, you can rule out sorms and coccidiosis.
will do thank you sm for the help i hope this works and one more thing do you think itd have something to do with the rooster the way he mounts them or no

Since you mentioned it's been very wet, this could be a coccidiosis outbreak. It's simple and easy to go ahead and treat for it on the off chance this is what's causing her problem.

Get some liquid Corid from the feed store. It will say it's for cows or other livestock, but it's good for chickens, also. Mix two teaspoons of Corid into one gallon of fresh water and give it to all the chickens as their only water source. Mix it fresh each day and do it five days running.

Give it one week and do it again for five more days.

Meanwhile, if she improves, we will be able to conclude that coccidiosis was her problem. If she doesn't improve, then we need to consider something along the lines of an avian virus such as Marek's or avain leucosis causing tumors on her joints or even her brain or spinal column.
Thank you for the help i will tey to do that

Back
Top Bottom