I need help understanding the words and definitions of the process.

buggal

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Aubrey, TX
This is my first set of eggs and incubation and proud chick mommy (5 chicks running around the incubator right now) and all. I know that a lot of you talk about peeps and other terms and I would love for someone to explain the terms to me.
If you don't mind explain them as if you were talking to someone that doesn't have a clue what you are talking about...because that is me.
frow.gif

TIA for all explanations.
Lisa

Honestly the whole process of the chicks hatching.
From the first little crack of the egg to when most of the egg shell is broken but chick is not out and then when the chick is out running around.

I'll start a little earlier than that :)

Internal Pip or Internally Pipped: When the chick has broken into the air cell with its beak inside the egg.

External Pip or Externally Pipped: When the chick makes the first crack in the egg shell. If someone says their egg is pipped and doesn't specify which type of pipped this is what they're talking about.

Zipping: When the chick starts to turn and crack the egg in a line around it to get out.

Those are really the only terms used during the hatching process :)

Last edited:
I'll start a little earlier than that
smile.png

Internal Pip or Internally Pipped: When the chick has broken into the air cell with its beak inside the egg.

External Pipped or Externally Pipped: When the chick makes the first crack in the egg shell. If someone says their egg is pipped and don't specify which type of pipped this is what they're talking about.

Zipping: When the chick starts to turn and crack the egg in a line around it to get out.

Those are really the only terms used during the hatching process
smile.png
THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate it. I know that my question sounds like a dumb one but when this is the first time ever doing this and you want to sound like you know what you are talking about.... it helps if you know what you are talking about
wink.png
Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom