i need help w/ my white silkies eye problem!!

kellibel9

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
Hi, my young white silkie rooster has had a foul odor to him since i got him and his brother/friend from a lady. I noticed that he had a little bit of discharge coming from his nostril a few months later and SOMETIMES had bubbly looking stuff in the corner of his left eye. Stupidly, I did not treat him until I noticed that his sinus was swollen. I bought some Neomycin Sulfate and treated him for a few days and he seemed better. However, his symptoms returned (they are not terrible, yet) and two days ago I isolated him and started treating him with the Neomycin in his water again. I have 5 other chickens who have not gotten sick even though they have free ranged with him on many days and shared the same water.
Does this mean that what he has is not contagious?
Am I doing enough to treat him?
I am a college student, and really do not have the money to take him to the vet where Avian visits start at $100, but I am very willing to spend less than that on antibiotics.
Why havent the other chickens gotten sick, and what should i do?
By the way, I realize how stupid of me it has been to not do more to help him by this time, but i do take good care of my chickens.
Thank you so much for reading...

ALSO-- he is NOT lethargic and the small amount of discharge is only coming out of the one affected side, where his sinus is also swollen. His other eye and sinus are fine...

Help please???

Last edited:
I would start them all on antibiotics (powder that can be mixed in with the water) It won't hurt them and it will likely clear up the roosters problem and prevent the others from getting sick. Make sure you keep them on for the recommended time ( usually a week to 10 days) to ensure it takes care of the issue

Thank you so much for your response, but this chicken has been hanging out with his friends for months and none of them show any signs. Could that be possible if it is contagious? I have read many websites and found nothing that describes what I am seeing, so that is why I came here. The discharge is not thick and is not there every day, there is no rattling, he is as happy as can be (in fact, quite mad that I have taken him away from his friends.) If it is Corzya, is it treatable with Neomycin Sulfate?

Quote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!!
big_smile.png

one more random question.....the water solulable Neomycin Sulfate says to dose according to how much the bird would drink in 24 hours. Do you know approx. how much a bantam rooster drinks in 24 hours? I read 7 oz for a quail and have been using that because I couldn't find anything else.

Back
Top Bottom