I need help with this egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sierra rayan, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Sierra rayan

Sierra rayan Hatching

Mar 21, 2018
    I need help with this egg. It has devolped specks on the shell

2. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Is there a picture you’re meaning to upload? Without a picture, all I can tell you is that eggs come in many shapes, sizes, colors and textures. Variance is not necessarily something to worry about, and usually isn’t. The “specks” that I assume you’re talking about are very common but I’d need a picture to tell you for sure.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC @Sierra rayan !
    Yes we need a pic.....but....

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
    Can be caused by:
    Excess or uneven pigment coating.
    Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
    Excess calcium deposits.
    Porous eggs can appear speckled.
    Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
    The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

4. Lilyput

Lilyput Songster

Mar 25, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Need help with shell diagnosis. I have a two year old comet who lays incredibly large eggs. She recently started laying these very bumpy-shelled eggs. Shell is hard. I feed "all flock" with oyster shell readily available to my mixed flock. It's like she is "overeating" the calcium and creating this very bumpy shell.

Attached Files:

5. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Is this hen consistently laying these mutant eggs? How long has this been going on? How is her behavior? Does she act sick? Lethargic, quiet, off her feed?

Sometimes stress can cause these mutations. Sometimes a shell gland that's not performing adequately, and sometimes a virus can cause this.

If it's been only recently she's been doing this, and if it's only been a couple such eggs, there's a good chance she'll snap out of it and go back to laying normal eggs. But if it keeps up, you probably should suspect a virus.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: