I need help with this egg

Welcome to BYC @Sierra rayan !
Yes we need a pic.....but....

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Need help with shell diagnosis. I have a two year old comet who lays incredibly large eggs. She recently started laying these very bumpy-shelled eggs. Shell is hard. I feed "all flock" with oyster shell readily available to my mixed flock. It's like she is "overeating" the calcium and creating this very bumpy shell.

Attachments

• CometEgg1.jpg
    CometEgg1.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Comet Eggs2.jpg
    Comet Eggs2.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 5
Is this hen consistently laying these mutant eggs? How long has this been going on? How is her behavior? Does she act sick? Lethargic, quiet, off her feed?

Sometimes stress can cause these mutations. Sometimes a shell gland that's not performing adequately, and sometimes a virus can cause this.

If it's been only recently she's been doing this, and if it's only been a couple such eggs, there's a good chance she'll snap out of it and go back to laying normal eggs. But if it keeps up, you probably should suspect a virus.

Back
Top Bottom