I need help

Alaskanfoul

Chirping
May 24, 2016
This morning at about 4 a dog got in to my duck coop and 1 of my 4 ducks is wounded. The feathers are missing from its neck and chest it is raw in some places and bleeding a little. She is still in shock but I had her in the bath tub with a tiny bit of water and she laid an egg. I now have her in a tote near the fire (not too close) with a cloth over top. I want to know if there is anything else I can do?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances :hugs
For now I would just leave her in the tote and keep her warm and quiet untill she has got over the shock. Shock can just as much a killer as the injuries themselves. Once she is over the shock you will be able to examine her better. Please do pop over to the duck section where I'm sure the keepers there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
A pic of the wounds would be a great help too.

Good luck, I hope she is well again soon :fl

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Grea to have another poultry lover!
Just keep quiet, and her warm, and in a darker spot. Not pitch black but dark.

Last edited:
Thanks so much... The dog also killed 3 of my quail and of the 2 left only one was found. It is a male so will he call her back (he is really loud)

Are you allowed to "dispose" of a dog killing your stock? He will be back to get the others unless something stops him. Please also check out the predator threads for ways to prevent it from happening again. I am very sorry for your loss. People refuse to care for pets responsibly.

So sorry. I to had a 1 month old duckling attacked by a dog. It happened just before dark and despite searching everywhere I couldn't find him until the next morning. I thought he was a gonner, had a large Chuck of breast missing. Clearly was in shock...I bought "Vetericyn" for poultry and gave electrolytes in the water. I tried wrapping it but couldn't get the bandage to hold for more then a few hours. So I just soaked it in Vetericyn spray a couple times a day. Kept it as clean as possible for a duck lol. It has been healing wonderful. Good luck!!!

No I am not but I know the owner. They offered to pay for the damage. i don't know if i will get more quail. We found some feathers from the lost one last night so I only have one left and he is freaking out.

Thank you all so much! I would love it if you would go check out my newest post -Quail and the cold?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom