I need opinions on breed selection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1 Bad Rotti, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 1 Bad Rotti

1 Bad Rotti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    At the present time I have black australorps, turkens, speckled Sussex, and a white leghorn rooster. All of these I just bought. What two breeds should I stick with for egg production and raising to sell? Are these good breeds for brown eggs or should I consider replacing them with another breed? I would like to cut it down to 2 breeds and some crosses. Any input helpful, thanks.

2. Mywifesidea

Mywifesidea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010
    Leghorns lay white eggs. Most commercial farms use leghorns for eggs...they are great producers.

Australorps are consistent layers...excellent for those brown eggs.

If you want to sell chickens...raise what you love, or what interests YOU.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Those are all nice, but for egg production, you can't beat the red sex links. I bought Golden Buffs, from the Meyer Hatchery, and they are little egg laying machines. A four pound hen, so they eat less, but man do they lay a big, brown egg, just about every day! They rarely skip a day.

4. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    The leghorn rooster I'm just keeping for crossing, and as far as what breed interests me is a question I can't answer. They all interest me. I just wanted some opinions to see what more experienced people thought about breed selection. Thanks for your help.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Around here, in south Ga, most people what large brown egg breeds and you can barely give White Leghorns away, so I wouldnt recoment raising them to sell, but if you just have the one rooster and want to cross to make some production hybrids, then that should be good. Maybe cross them with RIR hens or Sexlink hens and that should make some great layers.

6. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    I tried some reds and some sex link but they were all feather pickers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by