I need some advice for chicken with Respiratory infection

Aug 1, 2021
Few weeks ago I got a new chicken, what is about 14 weeks old now.
It is in quarantine since day one and I recognized something isn’t right.
It was sneezing and had bubbles on his nose.
I cleaned it up a couple of times a day and used VetRx on the nose and under the wings. I also started to give the chicken scrambled eggs with fresh oregano and water with vitamins and electrolytes.

At first it seemed to get better but then it started to have trouble breathing.
I bought Amoxicillin 500 mg at a feed store and I was told to resolve the capsule in one gallon of water. Within 24 hours the chicken looked so much better but was still sneezing.
Today I recognized bubbles in one of his eyes 😔
I still have one Amoxicillin 500 mg capsule.
Does it sound right to you to resolve the capsule in one Gallon of water? It helped for a short time when I gave it to the chicken for about 6 days but it’s getting worse again and I just want to get sure to give the right dosage.

My next step is to visit a vet but I can’t do this before next week.

This is a disease, and you don't want to share it with your flock!

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Swbertrand1
That’s why the chicken is still in quarantine and has no contact to my flock! They can see each other from distance but they are never close to each other.
I just need some advice how to help this little chicken to get healthy 🙏

Thank you though 😉

Unfortunately, it could be any number of respiratory diseases, some of which are impossible to tell apart aside from laboratory diagnostics. Give it a very thorough exam, check her skin, comb color, inside its mouth, everything you can think to check and add any more details. What does its poop look like, is it making funny sounds, etc.

I have had something similar minus the bubbles. Antibiotics didn't help. It resolved eventually but that chicken lives with her friend in her own special run and coop forever now. Vet said it wasn't contagious and homeopathic remedies fixed it up but it sounds like mycoplasma which is crazy contagious and from what I understand can recur and be passed on indefinitely. Someone with more experience will have more advice. But IMO this chicken will never be able to be integrated

Durastat powder and this helped my chicken
IMG_20211118_182805.jpg

That’s why the chicken is still in quarantine and has no contact to my flock! They can see each other from distance but they are never close to each other.
I just need some advice how to help this little chicken to get healthy 🙏

Thank you though 😉
If they can see each other they are for sure too close. Are you in Texas? I know your username says that but usernames aren't always what they appear to be.

If they can see each other they are for sure too close. Are you in Texas? I know your username says that but usernames aren't always what they appear to be.
Yes, I’m in Texas. Someone from a feed store mentioned to me it could be allergies 🤔
I think I have to see a vet ASAP but I can’t do that before next week 😔

Back
Top Bottom